Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:17 PM   #11

#21, #22, #23 - leaving that place (K)
A last look (#21). You can see how close the water really is... just open that gate and you'll get wet feet.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:41 PM   #12

On my way back I have to cross that bridge, about 7-8km down-stream from the weir:
http://maps.google.de/?ie=UTF8&ll=52...13937&t=k&z=17

As you can see, normally there is grass/farmland around the bridge, as well as some trees. This area serves as

#24 - the "flow-around-canal"
When the weir is open, the water fills the region east of the city. If you don't know this, you would wonder why we need a bridge here. Well - we need it in case of the flood.

#25 - still need to pump water to help that nearby village

Well - that's it so far. It was a scary situation walking over the weir (which serves as a bridge now for walkers and bikers)... but I hope you enjoyed the lil' walk.

Regards,
Th.

P.S. My thoughts go out to all the people which suffer from a flood situation. The human race can do some astonishing things, think of space flights for example... but there are so many things we could/should do here on our planet. We should be able to succesfully fight floods for example... ah well.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:13 PM   #13

You got some fantastic shots, th.
I hate to say fantastic, considering the serious nature of the situation but, I think you know what I mean. Nice , sharp good IQ all around.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:08 PM   #14

These pictures are beautiful by themselves. Add the commentary about your flooding they are also interesting and will become historical in the future. It's nice to think that the engineers in the 1880's designed something so well that it's still doing its job over 100 years later.

We have all kinds of bridges that appear to have no purpose other than to avoid a dip in the ground - so many of our rivers run underground and only surface when there's a hard rain.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:20 AM   #15

Excellent illustrations of the situation - will keep you & your neighbors in my prayers for safety, and soon return to normalcy...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 AM   #16

Excellent series of images, I hope it doesn't happen often. I can remember back in the 80's when the great lakes rose and we had sand bags around houses everywhere, but that lasted for 2 years.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote