Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:54 PM   #1

Default the flood and the weir

Hello,
on Saturday I had the chance to visit the opened weir and the surrounding area and I thought I share some images.

You can see a map here:
http://maps.google.de/?ie=UTF8&ll=52...27874&t=k&z=16

This map shows the "normal" condition. The weir (the bridge like structure in the lower middle part of the map) is closed and stops the water that comes from the right. You can see the nearby village to the north/north-west and you'll notice, that almost everything else is grass/farmland with some streets and the odd bunch of trees.

From Open Street maps (OpenStreetMap - license CC-BY-SA 2.0) there is the following image, where I marked some positions that I'll use through the little tour. (map link: http://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.ht...56&layers=B0FF )

For comparison I'll post some images from my last visit at the weir in October 2010, when the weir was closed.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:04 PM   #2

#1, #2 - southern village limits (A)
I wasn't able to drive past that point. They have sand sacks right at the village limits and I met this guy, that disassembled a pump. The water level is already decreasing here as the flood maximum moved on down-river. Still you can see, that it's very close to the village and I'd say it was like 30cm higher at maximum.
In #2 you can see the weir in the far distance.

#3 - a bit away from the village limits (B)
Due to the somewhat steep road only the houses at the periphery had to use sand sacks and pumps.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:10 PM   #3

#4, #5 - looking west (C)
I had to find another way to the weir and found that one. You can see, how close the water is to the realties.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Jan 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:22 PM   #4

#6, #7, #8, #9 - close to weir, north side (D)
There is a platform, which was made from an old weir part. People can climb up and read about the weir while having a good view at everything. At the moment this is unusable. #9 is a comparison shot from September last year.
Hint: In #6 and #8 you can guess the high water line about 3-4m away from the current one.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:29 PM   #5

#10 - looking north/north-west (E)
Another view of that old weir part. You can see the village in the distance.

#11, #12 - at the weir, looking north (F)
Again a comparison of the situation October 2010 and these days. I know - it's not the exact same position, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:35 PM   #6

#13 - looking west/north-west (G)
The land is completely flooded, you'll also notice the strong riptide.

#14, #15 - looking north/north-west (H)
There are stairs at each side of the weir and here are again some comparison shots. By the way - there are only a few centimeters of water in #15, some gumboots are enough to keep your feet dry here. The situation is different in #14, though...
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Jan 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:42 PM   #7

#16 - east side of the weir (I)

#17 - west side of the weir (J)

#18 - comparison shot from October 2010 (close to position I)
When I took that image, I stood where you can see the other two people in close to the water in #16.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Jan 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:48 PM   #8

#19, #20 - going back and looking up-stream (G)
In #19 you can see the metal plates, that were removed from the weir to allow the water to flow freely. I can't provide a panorama image from my October visit, sorry
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:48 PM   #9

G'day thkn

Thanks for showing us - you give no indication of which country you are in ... I presume Germany?? from the signs

Yes - flood waters soon inundate the surrounding area, and while the water flows away soon afterwards, the mud and debris left behind takes a lot of effort to clean up

I am in Australia and as you will know from news reports we are in water "up to our necks" at the moment. Queensland (twice the size of Texas) and New South Wales (the size of Texas) and Victoria (the size of the UK) are all experiencing unprecedented flooding. The Qld Premier made the statement recently "that the Qld flooding covered an area equal to France & Germany combined" - now that's FLOODING !!!

So your posting is a good one - it well describes the issue at a local level.
Thanks for it
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day thkn

Thanks for showing us - you give no indication of which country you are in ... I presume Germany?? from the signs

Yes - flood waters soon inundate the surrounding area, and while the water flows away soon afterwards, the mud and debris left behind takes a lot of effort to clean up

I am in Australia and as you will know from news reports we are in water "up to our necks" at the moment. Queensland (twice the size of Texas) and New South Wales (the size of Texas) and Victoria (the size of the UK) are all experiencing unprecedented flooding. The Qld Premier made the statement recently "that the Qld flooding covered an area equal to France & Germany combined" - now that's FLOODING !!!

So your posting is a good one - it well describes the issue at a local level.
Thanks for it
Regards, Phil
Hey,
yes, this is Germany here - sorry for not pointing this out.

Yes - I know Australia was hit very hard this year. Actually I made these flood/high water posts here as kind of a response to Rodneys thread (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...944-flood.html) - you'll find my posting there. My thoughts go out to you all there as I have some kind of imagination of your situation.

Also I post these images as I am thankful to have that weir - it redirects about 1/3 of the river's water around the city and I think it's a brilliant construction. It even won a price at the word exhibition in Paris in 1889 and is the only one of it's kind in Europe. Seeing the news on TV and being able to go out and see the situation on my own is a different thing and that's why I thought I share some images here.

Kind regards,
Th.