Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default tonights, DIY update...

I thought I'd better bring my fans up to speed on my studio soft box that I'm building.
I'm almost finished. I have completed milling the aluminum to make the heavy duty mount from. The plastic one I had just didn't look up to the job of holding a 7lb light. Its all coming along well and I used it to do a practice shoot to see how 6500K florescent lighting holds up in comparison to tungsten lighting.
First here is a quick look at the bottom of the softbox with the new handmade mounting bracket, mounted on my largest heavy duty stand.






Hard to get close up and show the whole light.


I have got to get to bed so I'll finish this post tomorrow evening
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Here's a few more photo of the softbox for anyone interested.
What it looks like on the stand with the front cover in place.

A look inside, no lights lit.









Notice the amber light in the foil... that's from the warm overhead florescent lighting, I didn't think about the conflicting temperature lighting .
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Notice the amber light in the foil... that's from the warm overhead florescent lighting, I didn't think about the conflicting temperature lighting .
Hi GW,

Looks good!

About the room lights, I've replaced about half of compact fluorescents in my place with "daylights" -- takes a little getting used to the cooler temp of the lighting as it makes things look more stark, but they are a lot easier for the camera to AWB than the normal ones while I'm chasing my cats around. A bit more expensive, but with the long life, it's not a bad trade off, and I can shoot at a whim without worrying about WB.

If your present room lights are regular fluorescent tubes, there are daylight replacements for them too -- then you can start thinking about a hydroponic garden when you're not using the studio. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East Central Vermont
Posts: 1,890
Default

That's very impressive GW. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the fabulous studio shots you'll be taking very soon.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi GW,

Looks good!

About the room lights, I've replaced about half of compact fluorescents in my place with "daylights" -- takes a little getting used to the cooler temp of the lighting as it makes things look more stark, but they are a lot easier for the camera to AWB than the normal ones while I'm chasing my cats around. A bit more expensive, but with the long life, it's not a bad trade off, and I can shoot at a whim without worrying about WB.

If your present room lights are regular fluorescent tubes, there are daylight replacements for them too -- then you can start thinking about a hydroponic garden when you're not using the studio. . .

Scott
Thanks, Scott.
Yeah, I'm replacing mine as I go.
I thought about hydroponic gardening but with my luck I'd get caught, you know with all them drug sniffing dogs they got now. It ain't like back in the good old days.
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
That's very impressive GW. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the fabulous studio shots you'll be taking very soon.

Thanks Ted.
I have to do some quick study work with them real soon, I'm supposed to shoot the yearbook for a small private school on Friday!
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Thanks, Scott.
Yeah, I'm replacing mine as I go.
I thought about hydroponic gardening but with my luck I'd get caught, you know with all them drug sniffing dogs they got now. It ain't like back in the good old days.
Hi GW,

Uh. . .errrrrr. . .of course I was thinking tomatoes and maybe some fresh basil, tarragon, and rosemary. . . You guys got salad and spaghetti police in FL?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Tachikoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,086
Default

Awesome work GW!
__________________
http://kuma-no-kimi.deviantart.com/
Pentax K-7
Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,522
Default

Looks like a great setup! Hope your yearbook shoot goes very well.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

I hate to say this, since it is the utmost insult to a do-it-yourselfer, but it looks almost professional!
__________________
.
.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:33 PM.