Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:35 PM   #11

Gorgeous photos Harriet. So very different from my part of the world. I can see how it would be impossible to appreciate a landscape like that unless you slow down and take the time to observe the details.

By the way, I'm seriously envious of the weather conditions you enjoyed. I don't know exactly when you were there, but this past Monday at 7:00 a.m. it was 26 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) at my house. Many other nearby areas were 30 and even 35 degrees below. And from your photos, it looks like you could have been running around in shorts and tee shirts!

Last edited by mtnman; Jan 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:54 PM   #12

Very,very nice!!..Beautiful series..they make me want to visit that part of the world.I especially liked the fifth photo..straight out of National Geographic! Thanks for sharing your walk..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:31 PM   #13

I've heard that the valley is awesome when the wildflowers bloom (they don't bloom every year, weather over the winter has to be right). We may try to visit again in March, perhaps for only an overnight, then a somewhat longer trip next fall.

As far as the weather, I wore a long sleeved shirt the day we went, and I had the sleeves rolled up when we were hiking Golden Canyon (a short walk through a beautiful slot canyon, pictures to come). It was in the 70's during the day (though the desert will cool down very quickly after dark and I think the lows were in the high 30's). It was glorious weather, definitely better than -F temps that you had.

And I'll have you know, I wasn't the only Pentax shooter there - I talked to a very nice guy who had a 645D on a tripod. Was I ever envious, the viewfinder on that camera is just awesome, and the lens he was using was very sharp. Oh well, maybe if I ever win the lottery or something. In the meantime I'll enjoy my K5.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:58 AM   #14

Awesome landscapes, and lovingly photographed. Hard to choose a favorite - they are each a gem!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:40 AM   #15

Beautiful! Makes me want to go shoot some of our sand dunes. Only thing is ours are white as snow and next to the gulf...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:08 PM   #16

Low light angles are great for that kind of landscape, as you so deftly have shown. If you find dune photography challenging, next time you are in Colorado, visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park - great photo ops there with the snow-capped Rockies in the background. Of course there are also the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Nature Conservancy Preserve and National Wildlife Refuge not too far up the coast from where you live.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:04 PM   #17

I'd love to visit Great Sand Dunes National Park (and Rocky Mountain National Park), along with White Sands in New Mexico (have driven by a couple of times and always wanted to stop, but never had the time). I've been to Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes but haven't really explored much. It's was nice because it wasn't very crowded the day we went there, it's not exactly widely known.

I've also been trying to figure out how I could manage to photograph the sand dunes by Kelso, which are singing dunes (very unusual) when the sun is low, but can't quite figure out how to do it without driving long distances in the dark (or else trying to convince my other half to once again try camping, something he hates). Maybe one of these days it'll work out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:41 AM   #18

Lovely series ! The last one is the best IMO.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:22 AM   #19

Great photos indeed; Love those endless landscapes
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:03 PM   #20

I would like to ask you a question regarding #1, if you don't mind. But first of all, let me say that I enjoyed all of your shots, but especially #5. The footprints at the top of each dune makes it look like the side of the dunes are "stitched" together.

Looking at the exif for #1, I see 1/250", f/8, ISO 500, and exp = not defined. I always try to look at the exif to see what I can learn about each shot. Do you have your ISO set for a "range", or do you input the specific ISO you want/think you need? My reason for asking is that if you were shooting this particular shot in AV mode, then the shutter speed & ISO were determined by the camera (if I understand things right). I'm trying to determine why the camera would have selected ISO 500. I'm guessing that it had to do with the time of day? I hope this is making sense, but thanks in advance.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote