Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:26 PM   #1

Default k-5 and more runway action

Chilly afternoon around freezing and a gusty 4 Bft. Now with the wintersun, providing some pretty sweet light.

k-5 with 50-200 f4.-5.6 WR.

Experimented here-and-there with slow shutter, with a few (almost) successful results. I love that tight aperture; Panning in broad daylight without needing nd filters is awesome.

did post-process these for levels, saturation, horizon leveling and crop.

100% crop
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:31 PM   #2

The only thing holding back your camera seems to be the lens. The shots are a bit soft. The the DA 55-300 would give you even better results with the k-5
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:13 PM   #3

Are u talking me into LBA?

Thanks for the tip, I'm checking some reviews right now; Could use the extra zoom for these shots too
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:21 PM   #4

I do not suffer from LBA currently, just FBA and CBA.

Yeah, the K-5 looks to be a excellent camera, put a sharp lens on it, and you will have some excellent results.

I would PM jelpee, he loves airplane shots. And he shoots pentax and nikon for his shots. He might be able to give you more insite into airplane photos with the pentax setup.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:57 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

You seem to have a pretty good vantage point to get these shots. As Shotutle mentioned above, these images look a bit soft. I'd be interested in seeing the original image (before cropping) and before any post processing. In my experience, it is often difficult to make a good image if the original image is weak. I'd be interested to see the original image out of the K-5 and the 50-200 lens. I used to own the original version of the 55-200 and found that it was pretty sharp between f/8 - f/10. At other apertures there was noticeable softness which is not unusual for lenses in this price range. Professional glass on the other hand costs so much because it assures tack sharp images over a wider range of apertures. PM me and we can discuss more.

By the way, decent panning shot on the Martinair B767. Were you shooting in burst mode? I'm not very proficient at panning, but was able to get this one turned out decent: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-3...94ba338abe1e2a

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:43 AM   #6

Hi Jelpee,

Yep, this runway provides all the flexibility you would want for photography / video

I sent you a PM with a link to some originals. From the pictures in this thread, #8 − 11 were taken at f/9.0

Having a close look at the images myself, I've got the feeling there's some edge softness going on. Editing them to full HD resolution, I had to apply some pretty aggressive sharpening (smart sharpen in PS often 350% or more at 0,2 -sometimes 0,3- using the lens blur option). Working on a 24 inch FHD screen, I find it easier to get sharp results at FHD resolution then editing them to the much smaller 1024.. But that has little to do with the camera's native output.

I use the burst all the time for my runway shots. With the slow-shutter panning it really increases the chance on a successful result. Love your panned shot; Working from a greater distance (or going close-up) works better with slow-shutter panning; keeps the whole subject non-blurred. With my wide shots it's visible how different parts of the subjects move at different speeds (so causing parts to be blurred) because of their 'rotational' movement in relation to the camera.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 PM   #7

Green Baron-

I agree with Shoturtle.

The Pentax 55-300mm is the better of the two lens, by a considerable margin. The panning by you and jelpee worked out well. Nice work!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Thanks Sarah Hmm I think you all just made me order the 55-300 Looking forward to see how it will perform
Still I'm very happy with the WR lenses; I'm personally not scared to get caught by a shower, but I never dared to keep shooting in such conditions. But right now I wouldn't mind a little rain in my free time

Thanks 2 all for the ideas
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:37 PM   #9

LOL, When I read "more runway action", I was expecting something else!
Good series non the less.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:18 PM   #10

what a great place for photos, our airport is bounded by trees, so no chance of anything like this
i like the angled shots, can you get landing shots too?

i did go to BWI airport a couple of times, you can get the planes coming in, but not landing
if you got the 300mm f4 da* you may be able to get shots like this
http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/de...?image_id=5116