Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:47 AM   #1

Default Technical question about Speed on dslr's

Couldn't come up with a better title so this will have to work...

I was just curious, my kx can take like 6 pix / second right?

but how does it do that? for instance, if the shutter is set on 1/2 second will it still be able to take 6fps? my guess is no but if the answer is yes then how?

and what is then the slowest setting you may use to get 6fps?
and would the speed help with camera/hand shake/motion blur?

just a question I got the other day that I couldn't answer maybe you guys can....
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:07 AM   #2

Logic dictates that it's only 2fps max with shutter speed set at @ 1/2 sec and it would have to be at least 1/6 sec shutter speed to get to 6fps max.

Certainly the slower your shutter speed then (hand-held) the worse your chance of getting a sharp shot without blur. Usually the fast frame rate is aimed at those shooters who need a fast fps to capture fast action (not something you would use a slow shutter for anyway) and so shutter speeds of at least 1/500 and above would be anticipated. Hope this helps CT !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:45 AM   #3

There's all sorts of factors that affect the fps rate. I rarely use continuous shooting so don't pay all that much attention to what affects it, but some things I've gleaned are: camera buffer size, camera write speed, card write speed and size of files.

As far as how slow shutter speeds go - I do a fair amount of one push exposure bracketing, which is essentially continuous shooting. If there's lots of light it takes almost no time to shoot 5 exposures. If I'm taking night lights I often have to wait minutes, while the camera both shoots the picture and then does the equal time noise reduction for those with shutter speeds slow enough to trigger it (it's useful for HDR - Photomatix doesn't subtract the random noise, it includes all the noise from all frames). So at least with this application, it will take a lot longer than 1 second. I would assume that ff is right with his math.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:18 AM   #4

I often use continuous but not to capture action. When there is a greater chance of blur, I shoot a burst since there will probably be a sharp shot in the group. Even at lower shutter speeds this technique works for me. High frame rates only work with high shutter speeds so 6 fps is a very versatile speed, my K10D can manage nearly 4 fps and the K20 barely 3 fps but each are very useful. Even my old DL, which could only shoot about 5 frames before the buffer was filled, could manage about 3fps and saved me from blurred pictures many times.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:10 PM   #5

Others have already answered most of your questions, but you asked about whether taking photos in burst more will help with the blur that can result from hand-holding. To the best of my knowledge, no it won't. Shutter speed will have a great effect on blur, and obviously engaging image stabilization will help a lot. (Pentax calls its version of image stabilization Shake Reduction, or SR for short.) As Ira pointed out, taking photos in burst mode might help because you'll have several photos to choose from, and that will naturally increase your odds of getting a sharp photo. But by itself, burst mode does not make images any sharper than taking one frame at a time.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:23 PM   #6
daz

The Maximum F/S that a camera is rated for is when the camera has no other tasks to perform but take a photo. That means no auto anything like focus or metering for any mode except manual. These all require the camera to think about what it is doing before taking a photo. Even shake reduction may slow the camera a little. As other have pointed out the minimum shutter speed has to be short enough to support the F/S but that could be surprisingly slow. If only the shutter speed (and no curtain or mirror return times) was use this would be 1/6s for 6 F/S. This is obviously to slow, as there is some things the camera needs to do like curtain or mirror return but a 1/15s or a 1/10s may work. A persons reaction time are about .2s so this is still faster then one could react too but most people when using the fastest F/S the camera can provide are usually needing to take photos much faster then the minimum shutter speed (like 125 or 250) for lens length or to reduce subject blur. So if you are not getting as fast of F/S as you think you should be look to what other automatic tasks you are having the camera do when you are taking a photo. How many frames that camera can keep shooting at max F/S is another issue.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:24 PM   #7

Your camera can shoot upto 4.7fps if the condition allows you, must have conditions that allow for a fast shutter speed.. Also if the camera does not have a close enough focus that the AF likes. It will not get to 4.7fps as the shutter will not release. Also if you have more precessing done, ie more dynamic range and so on, it slows it down. If you just have you IS on, and everything off on a sunny day, you will reach that 4.7fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
Couldn't come up with a better title so this will have to work...

I was just curious, my kx can take like 6 pix / second right?

but how does it do that? for instance, if the shutter is set on 1/2 second will it still be able to take 6fps? my guess is no but if the answer is yes then how?

and what is then the slowest setting you may use to get 6fps?
and would the speed help with camera/hand shake/motion blur?

just a question I got the other day that I couldn't answer maybe you guys can....

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:08 AM   #8

thanks for all the help !! I think I will try and experiment a little, but as Ira and some of you said if I use continous shooting I increase the chance of getting a good picture because of more pictures to choose from, but the camera will not use higher shutterspeeds and do anything magic on it's own. (just because of the continous shooting)

thanks everyone!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:47 AM   #9

If you want faster AF, pentax sdm lenses or sigma hsm lenses.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want faster AF, pentax sdm lenses or sigma hsm lenses.
thanks for the tip