Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Blizzard of 2010

Hi All,

You've probably heard about the huge storm making its way across the country -- I can tell you it's real. It started late this afternoon, and has just gotten worse ever since -- Temps around 20F (-7C) and winds @ 40 MPH (65kph). It's an unusual storm in a number of ways -- thunder and lightning -- never have seen that in a snowstorm before.

We're supposed to get around 2 feet (61cm) by morning -- it will probably pretty much paralyze the area for a couple of days even though we had lots of warning.

A couple of pics out of the front (note our picturesque lake) and back doors -- no I'm not going anywhere -- even a weather sealed camera doesn't do much good in this. . .

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:13 AM   #2

Wow and on the north east coast of Australia
They are expecting a Cyclone that will possibly
dump 500mililitres of rain and winds up to 300kph.
It is a category 5. The region is also the same region
that had all rain and flooding 2 weeks ago.
Nice photos under the conditions.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:00 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Stay indoors and stay warm. Hope you will not be impacted by power outages, etc.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi All,

You've probably heard about the huge storm making its way across the country -- I can tell you it's real. It started late this afternoon, and has just gotten worse ever since -- Temps around 20F (-7C) and winds @ 40 MPH (65kph). It's an unusual storm in a number of ways -- thunder and lightning -- never have seen that in a snowstorm before.

Scott
Scott

We are getting some second hand snow and wind from you guys. I am taking the day off just to shovel snow this morning. I believe it is just 6 inches not as bad as New York in the last 2 snow storm. Toronto has been really lucky indeed these few years.

BTW I heard (from radio) that there might be thunder and lightning too which is really news to me

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:39 AM   #5

Those pictures of the snowstorm look like quite the blizzard you are getting. Like you, I've never experienced thunder and lightning during a snow storm.
Weird weather !!
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6

It is called "Thundersnow" and I only heard of it for the first time last year. Believe it or not, we had it in California, where all your storms seem to pass through first (but not as intensely as your current ones)! This system of combined storms is so huge that we are getting high winds from the back side of it right now! Keep warm and stay safe.

Last edited by penolta; Feb 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:54 PM   #7

I assume that by now Scott is digging out, but here in northern New England the storm is hitting us full bore. So far we have received about a foot of snow, and they are saying the storm is only about half over. I stayed home from work today, and have spent essentially all morning and much of the afternoon running the snowblower, shoveling the walkway, and pulling snow from the roof (known as "raking" the roof). We are fortunate that our power has not been knocked out, but we still have another 12 hours to go. If I can find the energy, I'll try to take a few photos before nightfall. I wonder how Lou and Patty are faring.

Last edited by mtnman; Feb 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:31 PM   #8

Nice photos, snostorm, considering the conditions.

Believe it or not, here in Buffalo New York we have only been grazed. The town snow plows woke me about 6:30 am. If they are hitting the side streets that early, it means the main roads are already clear. I went out to about 4 inches of new snow, but it was heavy, freezing rain and sleet ( and I don't have a snow blower). I got out to work on time. We've had a few more inches of snow this afternoon, but nothing like Chicago or what's hitting New England. All things considered, we haven't had any crippling snow falls yet this year. Of course, here in Buffalo, we know how to handle it.

My prayers go out to all of you that have lost power, and in particular to Queensland.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:25 PM   #9

Hi All,

First of all, this thread should have been titled "Blizzard of 2011" or the "Ground Hog Day Blizzard", but I guess you got the idea. . .Anyway, thanks to those who looked and didn't call me on my brain freeze.

As things turn out, they seem to be calling it at 20.2" (51cm), and is the third largest recorded storm in the city's history behind the 23" in 1967 and 21.6" in 1999, but set a record for snow accumulation in a 24 hour period in this area as the previous storms were over 2-day periods.

Personally, this one has effected me the least. In '67, I was a senior in high school in the city, and since we didn't have school buses, we never had "snow days" . . . until that storm. I joined up with a group of guys to walk to school, and on our way, we helped push out a bunch of cars, and made @ $20 apiece! Once we got to school, they told us that less than 1/4 of the teachers were able to make it in to work, so they were closing the school for at least the day, and we headed back home, and made some more money pushing cars out.

An older friend of mine, who was in the Army, had gotten a few days leave the day before the storm, and was bemoaning being stuck at home -- his parent's house was in the middle of the block, and they weren't even thinking about plowing the side streets. Four of us hand shoveled the half-block of street so he could get out to see his friends. The city was pretty much paralyzed for days as there were abandoned cars and buses littering most of the main streets.

In "99, as now, I'm in the suburbs, and the smaller municipalities have less trouble clearing the main roads since they don't have the thousands of miles of streets to plow, and people seem to better prepare themselves, and just stay home instead of causing massive problems for the plows by being out and getting stuck during the storm, blocking the main streets.

As soon as my complex finds out how to get around the lowered snow removal budget prompted by 10 years of mild winters, I'll be able to get out and around pretty reasonably, I expect. I'll let them do the bulk of the work since my heart condition doesn't allow much in the way of shoveling, and I'd rather be snowbound than dead or in the hospital.

I've attached comparably framed shots after the storm for comparison. To make this thread relevant to a photo forum, let me add these shots were taken with my K-5 and DA 18-250, the first at just before midnight at ISO 128 noise isn't a problem in a snowstorm ), and the new ones in a brief period of sunshine after the storm had passed today. Note on the first one that what looks like a level field in between my position and the buildings in the background is actually a lake in a bowl whose water level is about 8 feet lower than the buildings. It was almost completely filled in by the drifting snow.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:45 PM   #10

We haven't actually gotten as much as expected. It's hard to measure as it's been snowing all day and we've got so much snow already in the yard from all the storms this past month. And, it's still snowing now. With a forecast of more snow on Saturday, we'll see our yard about June this year. I'm so glad I'm still out of work right now and don't have to go out every day in this.

I do know we aren't going anywhere tonight. My plow guy finally showed up about 9:30 tonight and immediately got stuck in my driveway. He called saying he's been plowing since 6 a.m. and is exhausted. He hasn't even plowed his driveway yet. He lives across the street. So, his truck sits in the middle of our driveway waiting for his crew to come, hopefully early enough in the morning, so hubby can leave for work on time. He's already missed two days this week due to illness.

I'll see about taking some images tomorrow. It's too dang cold right now. Just let the dog out and it's about 5 degrees.

I do hope that everyone is okay from this storm. Or, any snowstorm or flooding you've been having to deal with. This has been a rough month.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote