Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:28 PM   #1

Default Photography at a sanctioned Event

Hello all,

The rodeo is coming to town, and I thought this might make a good opportunity to take some pictures. Haven't had much time lately and this allows me to actually put it on the schedule and weather won't be an issue as it will be indoors. Although that will bring other issues.

What have been your experiences when trying to shoot at an event that has a sactioning body? Any issues getting equipment into the event? I guess it's the same problem weather it's baseball, football, etc... they all want to protect their investment.

Any tips, thoughts, etc. would be great. I'm not looking for special access. I'm just looking to take pictures from my seat.

Thanks all,

Osnap
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:59 AM   #2

Osnap,

Generally speaking, each event will have their own camera policy - even at the same venue. A given arena may have basketball, ice skating, rodeo, concerts, circus etc. etc. and each event likely will have their own policy. Typically, organizations will have a website - so start by looking at the website for the rodeo - check for pages that list FAQs or policies and see if they have a stated photography policy. If they don't then check the venue's website as they may have a default policy. Realize though you're going to need some reach and bright glass to get shots - so what lenses do you have available? You might get by with f4 glass and ISO 3200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:37 AM   #3

John - Thanks for the response. You nailed it so far... I had already tried everthing you mentioned without any luck, which is why I turned to the forum for expericence.

I was interested in shooting at this venue because I don't have that kind of glass, and was considering renting a lens to try out some better equipment and thought this event might offer a good challenge.

But I don't want to rent the lens if they are going to turn me away at the door...

If you think of anything else...

Thanks,
Osnap
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote