Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:37 PM   #1

Default lens hoods

ok i am new to the dslr world and i have bought a pentax k-x in the fall. I have a great popportunity using it on my recient trip to mexico and i am really thinking of getting a lens hood for it. The thing is no one in my area seems to sell any of them...??? They all have told me they are special orders direct from pentax and then they are costly. The henry's photo place near me said they have a rubber one ( not pentax brand) for my 18-55 lens... is teh rubber one just as good as the plastic ones? or am i better off paying more and ordering a plastic one from pentax?
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
ok i am new to the dslr world and i have bought a pentax k-x in the fall. I have a great popportunity using it on my recient trip to mexico and i am really thinking of getting a lens hood for it. The thing is no one in my area seems to sell any of them...??? They all have told me they are special orders direct from pentax and then they are costly. The henry's photo place near me said they have a rubber one ( not pentax brand) for my 18-55 lens... is teh rubber one just as good as the plastic ones? or am i better off paying more and ordering a plastic one from pentax?
I don't find the rubber 'universal' ones as good as the ones from Pentax. I lost my lens hood from my Pentax 16-45mmlens, last year. Almost choked when they told me a replacement from Pentax, would be around $ 75.

Used a wide angle rubber hood for $ 10. It vignettes around 16-19mm...kind of useless.

I don't use a lens hood with this 16-45 lens anymore. It seems to be ok.

I wasn't impressed when Pentax didn't provide a lens hood for my 18-55 kit lens that came with my Pentax KM.

But I also wasn't impressed when Canon didn't provide a printed manual (only DVD) with my G12 that I bought a few weeks ago, either.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:20 PM   #3

If you do a search on eBay you can find bayonet mount lens hoods that will fit the 18-55 mm kit lens. They look identical to the ones from Pentax and come at a fraction of the cost.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:42 PM   #4

I use metal hoods which I purchase on ebay from a seller called heavystar. I have them to fit most of my lenses. Great protection since I don't use UV filters.

Here are a few of mine (although I sold the Sigma to a friend of mine who has always wanted it)
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5

thanks everyone. i am looking to get one on ebay. plastic and cheap, who would of known they would be so much cheaper then the ones from pentax!
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote