Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Default More DIY Lighting...

I know there are several of you out there that dislike spending more money than they have to on photo gear, especially if it's something you don't use all that often. I found one way to save is by adapting items that were not originally intended for photography. I keep my eyes open at yard sales and thrift stores for such items. Also, sometimes you can find deals on sale or even at regular prices that you can utilize. Such as this 250 watt halogen flood light from Home Depot. I picked up 2 of them @ $5 each.

I removed the wire guard over the light, then cut off part of the stand and installed a standard light stand bushing to allow me to use it on any light stand. After taking the light apart, I panted it with a satin black paint. Then I attached a set of barn doors (that originally came with my briteck strobe) using a coulp of pop rivets. Add that to the umbrella light stand adapter I got off eBay for $8 and a light weight aluminum stand from the salvation army store for $2 and I came out with a nice little lamp for under $20.

I also found two 500 watt outdoor halogen flood lights at a yard sale for $5 each. I mounted one on an IV pole (one of several the hospital threw out) I will also be painting it black and adding a T handle to the swivel head mount to make it easier to adjust. These are quite a bit larger than the other ones and I'll be making some custom barn doors for them.

One other light fixture I came across at a yard sale was this one. they sell for $45 at Home Depot. I gave $12 It was brand new still in the box only the lamp was missing. I got a new one (6500K daylight) for $7. it has an equivalent output of 300 watts.

About a week ago I bought a box of photo lighting "odds N' ends" off eBay and among other things, there was two barn door sets for a Norman head. It just so happened that they fit my britek strobe perfectly and are much more substantial than the set that came with it, so that is why I put the smaller set on the small halogen head.

Well, that's about it for now. I do have another fluorescent fixture I'm working on I'll reveal when its done, and I have a brand new Interfit 3200 head coming soon that I won on eBay for $20. I didn't need it, but couldn'tpass it up for the price!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2

I picked up 2 of the dish style clamp work lights awhile back and still gotta try them out im probally going to use them to light backround and use my flashgun to light my subject but as for what u did here looks very cool
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Looks like fun stuff to build, how does the halogen and strobe get along for WB

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
I picked up 2 of the dish style clamp work lights awhile back and still gotta try them out im probally going to use them to light backround and use my flashgun to light my subject but as for what u did here looks very cool

Hello zombz, Thanks for the comments.
I assume when you say dish style clamp on, you're referring to one like this.

Yes they come in real handy for putting light where you want it. And you can use a wide range of color temperature fluorescent bulbs to match your other lighting.

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Looks like fun stuff to build, how does the halogen and strobe get along for WB

Hans
Hans, That's a real good question. Halogen bulbs are bright but, they
burn in the 3000K range. So they won't work with the strobe without doing some filter work.
I'm gathering two sets of lights,
1. will be in the 3000-3700K range
2. will be in the 5500-6500K range.
The strobes work in the later one.
The nice thing about fluorescent is you can go either way. warm or cool.

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Yea there pretty much the same thing as those but mine are alittle bit bigger in diameter
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7

One thing I forgot to mention, was that along with the Norman barn doors came a nice gel filter holder so, it makes it easy to add filters to the strobe.

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
Yea there pretty much the same thing as those but mine are alittle bit bigger in diameter
You're getting too fast for me!
Yeah, you can get them anywhere from 4" to 16"
they all can come in handy.

Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:19 PM   #9

im not fast i just have a driod 2 smartphone so i can check the site whenever i want
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:03 PM   #10

G'day GW

Thanks for your info mate - very useful stuff
Maybe we can see some of the results ... presuming you're going to do some studio-type work

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote