Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:59 PM   #1

Default raw is amazing

Just wanted to share that shooting raw is worth everything!! I shot alot of pictures of my oldest kid's birthdayparty the other week, and while I was using flash I accidently had high speed shooting on which gave me extremely underexposed pics because the flash just did one flash but the cam kept going ...
just to show how amazing RAW actually is, here I show my before/after shot of one of my "bad" shots..
it is actually usable, and I know it can be corrected more, but this is just for show
So for me , it is absolutly worth the extra time PP every photo...
Attached Images

SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:31 PM   #2

Hey Mike,
All I see on the before pic is a black square, is that what you actually got?
Yes, RAW is really nice if you're doing PP. I started shooting in strait RAW only a couple years ago. I convert them to jpeg using a free software program called "Instant jpeg from RAW" Its absolutely stunning how fast it works. This way I can view the jpegs faster than using ACR and if I find one I want to work on, I just open the RAW version.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hey Mike,
All I see on the before pic is a black square, is that what you actually got?
Yes, RAW is really nice if you're doing PP. I started shooting in strait RAW only a couple years ago. I convert them to jpeg using a free software program called "Instant jpeg from RAW" Its absolutely stunning how fast it works. This way I can view the jpegs faster than using ACR and if I find one I want to work on, I just open the RAW version.
yes, actually the original is almost as black as you see here, although you can sense that there is something there, but apperantly all info is there embedded in the raw
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Shooting raw does give you more leeway for making mistakes, but bringing back detail in shadows works better with some cameras than with others. It looks like you can get quite a bit of detail with your Kx and the recovery capability of the K5 is amazing. The K7 is another matter - you have little leeway before getting so much noise as to have something unusable. The K10 (as I recall, it's been a while since I owned one) was even worse since you would get quite a bit of banding as well as noise.

Now try the same thing with an overexposed shot (overexposed, rather than completely burned out). As long as you haven't completely clipped the highlights (in which case they are gone no matter what), you can recover quite a bit. The trick is to not clip the highlights.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:56 PM   #5

That is amazing, Mike. Nice work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:17 PM   #6

I shoot in RAW because I've long since figured out that I'm not smart enough to shoot in jpeg.

Lots of things that can be corrected in RAW.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyinGA View Post
I shoot in RAW because I've long since figured out that I'm not smart enough to shoot in jpeg.

Lots of things that can be corrected in RAW.
that is a fantastic way of saying People who don't make mistakes can shoot jpeg for the rest of us we shot raw :rolleyes