Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:25 AM   #1

Default I am a chicken when it comes to Winter shots

Hi all! Here is a photo of my "summer cabin" obviously taken this winter... it was bitterly cold and snowy, and I must confess, I am a chicken for cold weather, and I am talking COLD weather. My hands were freezing just to take this photo. We have had over three months of absolute snow on the ground with two more to go. Just got a little snow today... Anyway, this is the summer cabin where I hang out at, it is along a huge lake... the small buiding in front of you is the sauna... I refuse to roll in the snow or jump in a hole in the ice like some Finns like to do...

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:38 AM   #2

I know how you feel I just left my show covered home for a little visit to Florida

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I know how you feel I just left my show covered home for a little visit to Florida
Thanks... I just wish I could provide this forum with better "winter shots", but my hands freeze, and the cold??? Well, I admit, I'm chicken when it comes to this artic climate. This photo could have had better detail... but I just point and shoot... and RUN!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:55 PM   #4

I remember your summer photos of your cabin, Ned.
I have to agree with you , I'd much prefer the warmer months!
Its a good photo none the less.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:59 PM   #5

Thanks John. I can't wait till I see "green grass and trees" again. This five months or more of snow cover is a bit much. Take care and thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:16 PM   #6

I can sympathize with you Eetu. I live in a part of Canada where our winters go for 5-5 1/2 months. It's always cold during the winter, but we always have a period of extremely cold weather...around 25-30 below....sometime 35 below or a bit colder.
I usually go out for a walk down some of the forest trails nearby....but as I get older, I find I avoid the cold. Mostly I've been inside for a couple of weeks and I'm getting what we call in Canada....'Cabin Fever' .....I can hardly wait till it warms up a bit and I can get out and about.

It's supposed to warm up in the next few days....right now overnight temps when I checked were forecast to be around 29 below.......with a wind chill of around 38 below.

When it warms up a bit....all relative.......I plan to drive out to either the Boreal Forest or Canadian Shield areas....both pretty close.

I'll be looking for birds of prey.

There are some Bald Eagles and Northern Hawk owls...in those areas....I have got pix of before....but I'm hoping to get a pix of the Great Gray Owls...it would be a first for me.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:31 PM   #7

That's a beautiful photo of your cabin Eetu. Yes, it does look cold, and as another member of this forum living in a cold area, I also am starting to dream of warmer weather.

I can only imagine what Ira must think when he sees this thread..... Here I am complaining about Vermont's winter, and he is several hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I can sympathize with you Eetu. I live in a part of Canada where our winters go for 5-5 1/2 months. It's always cold during the winter, but we always have a period of extremely cold weather...around 25-30 below....sometime 35 below or a bit colder.
Yeah, I know that you guys in Canada really have it rougher... We have the North and Baltic Sea... if you move inland, Russia/Siberia ways, then it becomes cold.

Many thanks Les.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:53 PM   #9

I will only say that today it was a balmy -22C, tomorrow it is back to a more seasonable -28C. See my avatar to see how I dress to take pictures outside.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I will only say that today it was a balmy -22C, tomorrow it is back to a more seasonable -28C. See my avatar to see how I dress to take pictures outside.
Wow, and I thought -25C was cold enough. You guys have it worse. Stay warm, Ira.