Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:39 PM   #21
Super Moderator

well my original post was not to incite a canon vs pentax debate. it was more of a "you have alot invested in 1 system, thats a difficult transition" type of question. but since you seem to have your reasons laid out pretty well.

i like the 43mm and 77mm suggestions, they are decently compact and have favorable reviews. someone suggested a short macro the 35mm f2, i think this could be a good 3rd lens, gives you something to shoot close-up still life, etc. not going to be a hardcore macro lens at that short of focal length (at least for anything that moves) but would give you something nice for floral and fauna, etc.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:52 PM   #22

I would like to thank all you guys for some wonderful advice and you all have given me lots to think about. I was about to order the K-5 and a perhaps a 43mm lens but since my original post I am having second thoughts. I believe I will think about it for a few more days before I decide for sure. In the mean time I thought I would share a few silly photos with you all. These shots remind me of those silly $1,500 cars that you see riding around town with $5,000 wheels, a $3,000 stereo and a $5,000 paint job. I guess I could call the series "Pimp my Ride". Please forgive me if I am posting them inappropriately or breaking a forum rule.
Attached Images

mfgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Hmmm I really don't think those statements are true Sho.

This is from the link further below :

Popular Photography in its March 2002 issue called the Pentax SMC-FA 31mm Limited one of the greatest prime lenses it had ever tested (the other two were the Voigtländer Heliar 50mm f/3.5 and the Nikon Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P Tessar-type).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml

Three of the best 3 AF lenses ever made : 31, 43 & 77.

This is far from the only pro opinion on this.

For the OP. The 31 has the most useful overall FL though I have the 43 which is a superb, & my favourite, lense too.
I agree with frogfish. I have seen a number of tests (in PP for instance) where Pentax lenses are rated higher than the equivalent Canon lens. The latest is the Pentax 100 WR F2.8.

BTW...I have Pentax and Canon.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:40 PM   #24

Actually I know some that do have these setup. That they use a T2i when they do not want to pull out the 5d or 7d size body. The set up gives them the same IQ as their 7D with the 85 1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgriggs View Post
I would like to thank all you guys for some wonderful advice and you all have given me lots to think about. I was about to order the K-5 and a perhaps a 43mm lens but since my original post I am having second thoughts. I believe I will think about it for a few more days before I decide for sure. In the mean time I thought I would share a few silly photos with you all. These shots remind me of those silly $1,500 cars that you see riding around town with $5,000 wheels, a $3,000 stereo and a $5,000 paint job. I guess I could call the series "Pimp my Ride". Please forgive me if I am posting them inappropriately or breaking a forum rule.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:12 AM   #25

I love the second shot, nice dof. I have to ask, though, since I'm not familiar with that lens - is it really that huge compared to the camera, or does it look that way because of photographic techniques?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:28 AM   #26

The 85mm f/1.2 is not very long but it is REALLY fat..... That's really what it looks like on the camera. It is probably one of the heaviest lenses I have every used.
mfgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote