Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:32 AM   #1

Default Are there anyother cameras

You would think that Nikon, and Canon were the only manufacturers of cameras in the world. I live in Orlando Fl, and ever since I bought my K7, I've been looking at other peoples cameras. Nikon, Canon, and maybe Lumix is just about all you see, and I'm in a huge tourist area. I never see Pentx anything, and I'm really looking. Pentax really needs to up there marketing strategies, and get these cameras in brick and mortar stores. I see no other way they will grow. I completely understand why people go for the other brands if they can't touch a Pentax.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
You would think that Nikon, and Canon were the only manufacturers of cameras in the world. I live in Orlando Fl, and ever since I bought my K7, I've been looking at other peoples cameras. Nikon, Canon, and maybe Lumix is just about all you see, and I'm in a huge tourist area. I never see Pentx anything, and I'm really looking. Pentax really needs to up there marketing strategies, and get these cameras in brick and mortar stores. I see no other way they will grow. I completely understand why people go for the other brands if they can't touch a Pentax.
Pentax is for those who do their homework well before the buy

I would have loved better compatibility with the stuff from Sigma though; Too bad their tele converters don't work with the pentax mount
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:

I'm not sure that having a B&M is the answer. We have a local shop who carries, and promotes, Pentax gear. They tell me that they have sold a number of Kx's in the past several months and one K7.

I asked why they thought they didn't sell more and they said "It's easy to sell Pentax gear to people who either already know Pentax or who come in with no mindset about brands." "However, most people come in and ask specifically for Canon or Nikon." They carry Canon, Olympus and Pentax.

Pentax K1000, A50 f/1.7, M135 f/3.5, A70-210 F/4

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4

It's not an easy thing to answer. As a consumer, it's obviously a negative that there isn't more of a B&M presence. But that presence takes a lot of $$$ - you need representatives to service the accounts and to sell the product to the stores. And, in the end, compete with exactly what the other poster talked about - brand bias. That's what makes marketing such a challenge - is the $$$ worth while to have a presence? And there are, of course, additional supply chain costs with having your product in more locations. So I agree with the other poster - incurring the cost of doing business in brick & mortar may not be the best investment anymore.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:25 AM   #5

Another point about marketing - how many times have you read here about people going to a camera store, handling various cameras, then ordering a camera on-line because they can save $50 (in some cases, more)? It's not surprising that so many independent camera stores have gone out of business or stopped carrying low-volume, "marginal" items. But I do admit that when someone is buying their first dSLR, they'll want to check out the ergonomics and not finding a camera locally can cause someone to not buy a camera. I went into Costco to buy my first dSLR with every intention of buying a Canon. I ended up walking out with a Pentax because I liked the way it felt in my hands better, and could see no reason to spend the extra money it would have taken to get enough Canon lenses to match my existing Pentax manual lenses (which wasn't all that much).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Hi!

For me it was the homework!! I never owned pentax, my father had a compact pentax when I was little...nopthing more...but pentax is a brand that i feel is a premium brand (just like apple computers)..and when I was looking I wanted a camera that could do lowlight, and do it well....the KX got spectacular reviews from just about anyone....and the price was right...that is why i got my pentax..now I wouldn't trade it for anything
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7

I bought into Pentax when it was a first string player, the heyday of the K1000 and the M series cameras. The Canon AE-1 was number one but I never liked that camera and chose an ME Super instead. At that time Minolta made some excellent models, and Nikon had some great cameras, but not in my price range (the Nikon EM seemed rather "cheaply" designed so I passed on that as well). The Pentaxes served me well for nearly 30 years before I bought a used Minolta Maxxum. Had Minolta survived I may have ended up with one of their DSLRs but the Sony take over created a gap in time in which I got a *istDL as a gift from my darling wife. It is a decision I do not regret.

When you look at Canon and Nikon forums you often find that there are a lot of equipment based discussions, and dare I say arguments, while the Pentax forums tend to be more about photography and less about the tools. I think that is how I see Pentax, not as much about bragging rights and pixel peeping but about photography.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:22 PM   #8

Quote:
You would think that Nikon, and Canon were the only manufacturers of cameras in the world.
So do their owners - if you search ebay for used lenses, there are many with no mount mentioned - these invariably turn out to be Canon (mostly) or Nikon. ('nuf said!).

As far as I know, Pentax has never had a tradition of supporting smaller dealers. "Back in the day" when Pentax was big and there were small B&M camera stores all over the place, only the biggest ones carried Pentax. I had a good friend who owned a popular local store, and carried Canon, Nikon, and Leica cameras, as well as Kodak, Olympus and some others. But no Pentax, and not for failing to try. Nikon and Canon provided dealer incentives, and Leica even flew him to Germany to tour their factory a couple of times, but the Pentax reps couldn't be bothered with the small fry, and wouldn't even call on him when he asked them to - to get Pentax products for me he had to buy them from a larger store some distance away that he had a friendly arrangement with. He had a tough time competing with the New York mail order houses for consumer level SLRs, and made most of his money on sales of low profit margin p&s cameras to tourists, film and developing, and from local pro photographers who liked and needed local services. It became tougher with the arrival of the internet, and finally with Digital providing the coup-de-gras to his film business, he sold out to the local redevelopment agency which wanted to buy and tear down his building. Rather than relocate, he retired and finally left town. That scenario must have been repeated many times over. But things change, and in spite of the fact that Hoya had announced that Pentax would be withdrawn from store sales in North America to concentrate on internet sales, a few Pentax cameras (mostly at the lower end) are beginning to appear again in some of the larger volume stores, perhaps (we can hope) because of the favorable publicity surrounding the newer cameras creating a measure of popular demand.

Last edited by penolta; Feb 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:17 PM   #9

Well... I was going to add my 2 cents but, looks like everything has been covered.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
When you look at Canon and Nikon forums you often find that there are a lot of equipment based discussions, and dare I say arguments, while the Pentax forums tend to be more about photography and less about the tools. I think that is how I see Pentax, not as much about bragging rights and pixel peeping but about photography.
I would avoid DP Review Pentax forum if I were you then

It is certainly true here at Steves though - the Pentax forum here is a very friendly photography-based forum.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote