Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Vanishing Giants

The other morning on my way to work I had to stop and of course take some pictures..you don't see many of these old timers anymore.When I was a kid the horizon was littered with them..you always knew where you were.So for nostalgic purposes I used the b/w filter on one..
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:36 AM   #2

Wooden structure Grain elevators. I recall when they dotted the Canadian prairies.

Now of course we (Prairie-ites) still have a large need to store grain, but modern, larger concrete storage buildings do the trick...don't have the same character as the old style elevators.

I recall seeing one about 15 years ago, weathered badly with the words United Scottish Farmers painted on the side of the elevator. It was out in the central Mb. area.

It was ancient and I wouldn't be surprised if it is no more.

Pictures are great...really evoke the loneliness of the prairies.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:26 AM   #3

I lived in the midwest as a kid and saw these all the time. Nice shots of a lost era.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:11 PM   #4

Cool shots of antiquity.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:31 PM   #5

Great shots, Kashka! I like em.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Thanks all for looking!...I really miss these landmarks.Every town used to have 2 to 4 of them and now as Les mentioned they are replaced by ugly old cement terminals in the middle of the country.Les..if you are ever out near the SK border by Russell..check out the village of Inglis..it's a heritage site now where they have preserved 4 or 5 of them and turned them into a museum.I have donated some old railway stuff them and they present a nice photographic opportunity..
Just google Inglis grain elevators if you are interested.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
Thanks all for looking!...I really miss these landmarks.Every town used to have 2 to 4 of them and now as Les mentioned they are replaced by ugly old cement terminals in the middle of the country.Les..if you are ever out near the SK border by Russell..check out the village of Inglis..it's a heritage site now where they have preserved 4 or 5 of them and turned them into a museum.I have donated some old railway stuff them and they present a nice photographic opportunity..
Just google Inglis grain elevators if you are interested.
Thanks for the photographic ideas...I may get out there soon.
I love the area of Mb. around the Sk. border...rolling countryside. I'm thinking of doing a tour of western Mb....in the late spring...once the winter leaves .

I'll also take my fly rod along with my cameras....Duck Mountain, Roblin...

A few months ago I mentioned in a post about the springtime Raptor migration location.

If you're interested I could PM the directions to you, regarding the Raptor migration...out in the Pembina Hills- Pembina River Valley in the early spring.

Les

Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:05 AM   #8

Les...that would great!..I really would love to see that.I'm working this coming week in Crystal City and then later in Roland..still a tad too early for the hawks tho..And if you want some points of interests or cool backroads to try out if you make it out west..just pm me..I know lots of old bridges and very scenic back road drives thru the Assiniboine valley along the the border.And around Roblin and the Ducks..thats my home stomping grounds....and yes..definitely a rod is needed inthe Ducks..we spent a week at Wellman Lake and hit all the little lakes around there..beautiful country!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:57 PM   #9

I've never seen these wooden grain elevators in person -- only in photos. Thanks for sharing, from someone who is not familiar with your part of the world.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:27 PM   #10

Kashka,

I've sent some PM's to you, but I don't think they are going through to you .
Les