Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:48 PM   #1

Default New Kx - image storage issue

Hi, I've a Kx for nearly a week now to see how it works for me. Things have been going well, except for today. When I got home and put in my SDHC card (class 10 16gb) in my (mac, if it matters) computer and none of the images were there.

A few hundred images no where to be found . There were a few (84) images that I took yesterday and the day before, but not from the three different locations today. Okay, so I start the camera up take a few pictures and viola the images are on the card and I can see them on my computer.

Can anyone explain what might have happened? Could I have done something (really stupid) accidentally? Could it be the camera? The card? I'm perplexed and super disappointed.

Thanks for your time.
SnowyPlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:06 PM   #2

Tough break. It sounds like the day's file was accidently erased.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:16 PM   #3

sounds like a corrupt card, I have seen cards act funny if the card got to close to full, can the KX handle a 16gb card?

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:58 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

I really don't think I deleted them.

The card wouldn't have been close to full, even if the missing images were there, it would be around 400 jpeg photos total. I downloaded the pictures on the card, the last image #was 433, then the next # was 675, so the 242 images I took today are unaccounted for. I couldn't find any folders containing the missing on the SDHC card using Finder on my Mac.

I'm unsure of the answer regarding the Kx handling a 16 gb card. Nothing in the manual says no, but nothing says yes either.

I'm going to reformat the card and see what happens tomorrow.
SnowyPlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:07 PM   #5

reformat it in the camera

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Before you reformat the card, try some rescue software. I'm guessing that Penolta's suggestion is correct -- somehow all of yesterday's images got accidentally erased. but erasing an image file doesn't make it disappear, it simply tells the camera that the space where the image resides is available to be overwritten. But reformatting the card will destroy the images, if they are still hidden on the card.

It's possible that when you took your 84 images today, some of them might have overwritten some of yesterday's pictures, but I'll guess you have a good chance of recovering most of them.

I bought a Sandisk memory card several years ago that came with a CD that had rescue software on it. If you don't have rescue software, it's widely available, perhaps even for free.

If you rescue the missing images, once they are safely stored on your hard drive (and backed up!), then I agree, it would be a good idea to re-format the card. But if yesterday's photos are important to you, don't reformat until you have tried to rescue the images.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7

Unfortunately it sounds like a card issue. I always re-format my cards in-camera after every upload to my Mac, as once or twice the card didn't seem to be functioning correctly from the messages I got on my camera - I've never had an issue after re-formating in-camera.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:07 AM   #8

It does sound like a card issue of some sort, or else you accidentally hit the wrong thing before downloading. I'd buy another card and see if anything like that happens again.

A couple of other things come to mind about how the camera stores pictures, not that this would necessarily apply to your situation. You can have the camera set up to either store all pictures in one folder or to store them by date in different folders. If you are using a card reader to download your pictures you'll need to make sure you download all folders.

My workflow is to download pictures every day (or every session), make sure they are actually copied correctly and then put the card back into the camera and have it reformat the card. Most people make sure that not only are they copied onto the hard drive but there's a second copy somewhere else before they reformat, but for the most part my pictures aren't important enough to bother with a second copy right away (I back up to DVD when I have enough). Between always reformatting in-camera and using Sandisk cards (or other high-quality card), you'll have less of a chance of losing pictures.

The only other thing I could think of that might go wrong is if you removed the card when the camera was turned on and the card got corrupted. From what I've read, though, is that something like that would toast the card completely - it wouldn't be useable the next day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:10 AM   #9
Administrator

This may help if you want to try and recover the images (but, since you've been taking photos, some of them may have been overwritten).

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

It sounds like you just had a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table). That's a relatively common problem.

Are you using the Safely Remove features of your Operating System before removing the card?

If not, and you've performed any writes (and deleting images writes to the card), then you risk corrupting the card, since some of those writes may be cached in the operating system's memory. So, when you remove it, you can end up with file system corruption.

I'm not a Mac user, but from what I understand, this is how you do it under OS X:

Find the icon for the card reader on your desktop (it should act as a removable drive), and drag it to the trash bin. It should change into an Eject button at that point. Wait until the icon vanishes before removing the card (at that point, any pending writes in the operating system's memory should have been written to it, and the file system should be unmounted).

With Windows, you can do the same thing if you click on "My Computer", right click on the icon for your card, then select the Eject choice.

Personally, I try not to write to a card from a computer (I copy the images only) to reduce any risk of corruption.

Then, I always reformat a memory card using the camera's menu choice for format (not a PC) prior to *every* reuse. No exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format). Besides, it's usually just as fast or faster to format the card compared to deleting the images (since in most cases, a format is just recreating the FAT, not overwriting the entire card).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:20 AM   #10

It's easier than that on a Mac Jim - there is a little eject button icon right next to each attached disk or card in Finder - just click it and it's ejected and safe to remove.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote