Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Default K7 Coming

Well after much consideration I have a K7 on order. I hope the camera is not as complicated to use as it looks when reading and looking at all the features and menus in many of the reviews. Coming from a Pentax ist DL2 which over the years of use I have gotten to know very well the K7 looks very intimidating. Most of you I'm sure can relate to this as it will be an all new learning process. Any ways it should be here in a few days and hopefully all my hesitations will go away once I have it in my hands.
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:19 AM   #2

The interface is quite different on the K7, but once I got used to it I prefer it. Start off by carrying the owners manual around with you so you can find things on the camera.

The K7 can be really easy to operate - put it in P mode and push the shutter. Even my non-photographic husband can do quite well with that. It's when you start wanting to take more control or access some feature that it gets more complicated. One thing is that there's more buttons and levers on the outside of the camera for changing some things that were hidden in menus on the DS/DL cameras, such as focus point and metering methods. I often change metering methods now, it's so convenient to change (used to leave it to center weighted and never changed it when I had to dig through the menus).

Don't get too intimidated by the owners manual and features. Many of the features are on the DL, they are just hidden away in menus on the older camera, while the K7 has them available either on knobs and levers on the camera itself or in a much simpler menu system. Others are new but not necessarily things you would be interested in using (or might be but you don't need them right away).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:26 AM   #3

mtngal:
Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. I will be going to New York in early April and hope to have some understanding on how to best use the K7 by then.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Congrats on your new camera ! The K7 may have been superceded by the K5 but it's still a superb piece of kit and I'm sure you'll soon grow to know it and love it !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Congratulations, On your new camera!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:50 PM   #6

Thanks Frogfish and Goldwinger:
Very much looking forward to receiving the K7.
Ross
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:34 PM   #7

Quartz! I bought my K7 last May. Yeah, there are a lot of settings, but for me, I took one setting at a time... just taking my time, starting with the Auto... but learning what can and cannot be done on that setting... then I moved on until I came to Manual. That was my game plan, just taking the settings one at time and have fun in the process. I really hope you will enjoy your K7 as I sure do. Oh, its good to take notes, believe it or not... Well all the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Quartz! I bought my K7 last May. Yeah, there are a lot of settings, but for me, I took one setting at a time... just taking my time, starting with the Auto... but learning what can and cannot be done on that setting... then I moved on until I came to Manual. That was my game plan, just taking the settings one at time and have fun in the process. I really hope you will enjoy your K7 as I sure do. Oh, its good to take notes, believe it or not... Well all the best. Ned
Thanks Ned;
I guess it's like the saying goes (walk before you run). It's the fact that I'll be heading to New York in mid April that has me a bit worried so much to shoot there. Like you pointed out I can always start by using the Auto setting an go from there. If you don't mind me asking what lens,lenses do you have and use.
Thanks Ross
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:24 PM   #9

I have the two kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. All the best Ross. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:38 PM   #10

Hi Ross,

Congrats on the K-7!

To help get over the intimidation factor, as Harriet suggested, just leave everything as it is and go shoot some in "P" mode. When you find that you will want to make some changes to the default settings, these will be easier and quicker to accomplish, but with a lot more flexibility and detail. One huge tip is to get to understand the Info Screen and what settings can be changed there -- I find it to be extremely useful.

The huge leap in resolution will take some getting used to, so keep this in mind when comparing images from the two cameras.

There are quite a few shooters here with a lot of DS/DL and K-7 experience, so you've got a good resource here if you run into problems. I think that you'll be very happy with your choice.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote