Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:32 AM   #11

Oh that first reflected dawn shot is just gorgeous ! And more great low DoF shots of buds too - you spoil us !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:55 AM   #12

Nice series Mole, what lens are you using for the closeups, it looks really sharp.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:55 PM   #13

Lovely images as always, Mole. We just got hammered with another major (and record-setting) winter storm. Some parts of Vermont and upstate New York received more than 2 feet of snow! It's very encouraging to see that spring is arriving in your neighborhood. Perhaps it will find its way up here eventually.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:53 PM   #14

Kevin - so glad you liked the dawn shot - just a touch of HDR to bring out the range... Have taken a few more early spring bloom shots, but not had time to go through them yet - too busy repairing flooded trails!

Hans - Glad you enjoyed these. I have a few options for macros: a Sigma 105 Macro, Pentax A 35-105 semi-macro (plus Raynox close-up lens), and some old M42 extension tubes with an old SuperTak 35mm. Most of these macros were with the Sigma.

MtnMan - We got your storm, but it was many inches of rain instead of snow. Forecast is for a few flurries here tonight, maybe a few inches of snow on the higher mountains. Right now we are just very soggy!! Sure do hope & pray you are surviving the winter storms well...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:12 PM   #15

A lovely series! I'm trying to get caught up after being busy at both work and with taking test shots with the K5. So now that it's in FedEx's hands, I can enjoy all of your shots.

Since you asked, I like the cooler background for your willow leaf buds. While normally I'd like the green one, its so warm and a beautiful shade of green that I find my eye wandering to it more than it should. I think the cooler/greyish background is less distracting, keeping my eye on the branch more. But it wouldn't surprise me if others think the one with the green background a more pleasing picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:02 AM   #16

Harriet - Thanks so much for the helpful & specific feedback. The brighter green background was plant life that was naturally there. Cooler was an old pair of chainsaw chaps spread out as background. Glad you liked the experiment!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:24 PM   #17

That's interesting how you got the cooler background. I figured the green was plant-life, it's what I would have expected. I just figured the cooler one was deeper shadow - you changed angles or something. I never would have guessed that it was something you created with chainsaw chaps - what a useful idea! I'll have to keep such an idea in mind, though I wouldn't be using something for a chainsaw! More likely a jacket or camera bag or something along those lines. It certainly was effective.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:47 AM   #18

More pictures!! and you DO have spring beauties out!!!

I guess I never looked at tree buds so up-close before, and how similar they are to "regular" flower buds (sounds silly.) It's hard to decide on the willow buds- the first background is brighter and more of a spring "mood" but the second one really brings out the color of the buds more.

I love the harbinger-of-spring and toothwort pictures. And the cool jello-fungus (I know that's not really its name) picture. And of course the cow on the weather vane!!! those are probably my favorites.

Well, but I love those early morning lake shots too. I think the second one is my favorite of those, but they are all lovely. Well I guess that's all... miss you!! see ya later!
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:43 AM   #19

Harriet - Glad you liked the "backdrop" material. An old green jacket would work just as well..

BlueSky - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your helpful & specific comments! Miss you too, and hope to see you soon!!