Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:59 PM   #21

I think that a portable computer should have a portable drive - one powered by the computer rather than an AC adapter. I just bought one of these on sale for my Macbook pro:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...able&cp=1&lp=1
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:33 PM   #22

Penolta - I have one of those that I keep all my pictures on. Its not that fast and when I tried to reformat it to Mac's file system that you would need for Time Machine, it said it couldn't do it. So it's out for back-up, but is perfect for storing my pictures. On the other hand, it had no problem with the power outage, getting its power from the laptop's battery.

Jim - I went looking for information on Apple's forum. There's apparently 3 different ways of seeing drives - the finder, disk utility and system. The drive appears in the system but not disk utility or system, making me wonder what's going on. If I could see it in disk utility I could reformat it and be back in business. But it can't so I think the drive itself has failed - I could try to take apart the housing and install a new drive, but it sounds rather iffy for my limited DIY capabilities.

After reading about all sorts of things, I think I'll order a LeCie 1 TB disk that's firewire/USB. It's $104, which isn't that much more than the refurb one. Then in 6 months or next year I'll look at what's available with Thunderbolt. The LeCie will still work with whatever new computer I might upgrade to.

The one conclusion I did come to is that I'm going to look much closer to the 17" laptop - 1 lb more won't kill me since most of our traveling is by road.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Penolta - I have one of those that I keep all my pictures on. Its not that fast and when I tried to reformat it to Mac's file system that you would need for Time Machine, it said it couldn't do it. So it's out for back-up, but is perfect for storing my pictures. On the other hand, it had no problem with the power outage, getting its power from the laptop's battery..
Oops - I sent you the wrong link - these two are specifically formatted for Mac, There is also a 750 that they don't carry.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:48 AM   #24

Harriet - if the system sees your drive, perhaps it's not a hardware problem with the drive at all, but rather some file system corruption due to the power outage. Have you tried testdisk? It's a free command-line utility (works great under Mac OSX) for repairing just such problems.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Also, if you got applecare for your computer, it should have come with TechTool. See if TechTool can repair the corrupted hard drive.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Thanks, Mole. I really have too many cameras now - if you or anyone else is in the market for a good K10 body, PM me. I can add a lens if needed.
Thanks so much for your very kind offer. I would be glad to have a spare camera body, but no funds at this time. Sure do hope you find an interested buyer! Thanks again!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:28 PM   #26

Mole - I do have TechTool, but it didn't want to find the hard drive either. As I was reading about TestDisk, a window popped up saying that the disk was read-only - the first sign other than seeing it in the system window. Tried Disk Utility and there it was. Reformatted it and I'm now trying to do a back-up, we'll see if it continues to work or not. I'm still going to replace it with the new drive that should be here Wednesday, but I can think of a use for this one, maybe to back-up the portable drive where I have my pictures. So my first thought, that the registry/file system had gotten corrupted may be the right answer after all.

One of the reasons I've been thinking of getting a new computer is that mine is so slow. While I've added some software recently (Nik's LR collection), I didn't think that would account for it being slower than it was when I first got it - all my other software is the same. While trying to find the external hard drive, I discovered that my computer now shows only 2 MB of RAM installed in one slot, the other shows empty. When I bought it, it had 4 MB RAM so I think something has happened to the second chip (maybe as simple as getting unseated?), and that could explain why it's been slower than I thought it should. I guess it's time for another trip into the computer store, good thing I have AppleCare still (though it runs out in 6 months).

This has been an interesting bit of time - I've learned some things about my computer that I should know (how to find out the particulars of it), quite a bit about external hard drive options and why I'm likely to buy the 17" when I do upgrade (eventually). If the reason my computer seems so slow is due to the missing memory, then I may hold off for a month or two, until it's closer to the time my AppleCare runs out.

Thanks everyone SO much for the help, information and sympathy!

To go back to the original topic, I would love to have a silver K5, because I think they look very good-looking. However, I'm hard on my gear (look at my recent computer woes) and think that the limited ones should go to collectors rather than someone like me who would drag it around everywhere I go. I'll continue to hold out hope that when I open the box with my returned/repaired/replaced K5, that it will somehow magically change into a silver one. Well, I can dream can't I?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote