Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default My "new" shooting kit

My signature shows the cameras and lenses that I have with me here but I just realized that my basic shooting kit has completely changed since 2010. I now take my old Nova 3 Lowepro bag with my "new" K20D, my actually new DA 18-55mm WR and DA 50-200mm WR, and my "new" FA-J 75-300mm. It is like a completely new outfit except for the bag and the vertical grip (which I used on my K10D).

I took this shot with my DL and the FA 28-70mm f4 (these two were meant for each other) on my Dynatran tripod, under artificial light. The exposure was 50mm for 8s at f11, ISO 200 (RAW of course) with a 2s timer and AWB. It came out quite well under the circumstances so I thought I would share it here. I do find the K20D to be a significant improvement over my K10D (which admittedly did have focus issues), however I still like the look of images from the DL so it will not be laid to rest.

Since this is my "all weather" kit (only the FA-J is not weather resistant) it does not include my primes, my fisheye zoom and the FA 28-105mm. I will get a shot of the rest of my stuff later.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Out of curiosity, why both the 50-200 and 75-300? Why not just the 75-300 since you have 28-70 covered?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Here are the rest, The Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, the M 100mm f4 macro, the FA 35mm f2, the FA 50mm f1.4, the DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom, the *istDL with the FA 28-70mm f4 attached and the FA 28-105mm f3.2-4.5. There is a small tabletop tripod attached to the bottom of the backpack.

This was shot with the K20D and the DA 18-55mm WR, 55mm, 6s, f11, same Dynatran tripod and 2s counter. Just a little bored and thought I would share
Attached Images
 
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Out of curiosity, why both the 50-200 and 75-300? Why not just the 75-300 since you have 28-70 covered?

John
I wanted the 50-200mm WR so that I would have an all-weather kit. The FA-J 75-300mm is a nice lens but it has a plastic mount and no distance scale on the focus ring so it is a budget model which will probably see more time on the DL than on the K20D. The 50-200 is also a very compact lens with a front element that does not rotate so it can easily be used with polarizers (the 75-300 does rotate, as does the 28-70mm but the 28-105 does not).

I also got the 75-300 from an auction with other items so it was actually a bonus (I got a very good deal on the DL, the 28-105 and that 75-300).

Hope that explains my (admittedly) weak logic. BTW the bags are the same colour, the K20D did a better job of showing the colour.
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 12, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I wanted the 50-200mm WR so that I would have an all-weather kit. The FA-J 75-300mm is a nice lens but it has a plastic mount and no distance scale on the focus ring so it is a budget model which will probably see more time on the DL than on the K20D. The 50-200 is also a very compact lens with a front element that does not rotate so it can easily be used with polarizers (the 75-300 does rotate, as does the 28-70mm but the 28-105 does not).

I also got the 75-300 from an auction with other items so it was actually a bonus (I got a very good deal on the DL, the 28-105 and that 75-300).

Hope that explains my (admittedly) weak logic. BTW the bags are the same colour, the K20D did a better job of showing the colour.
Thanks! Makes perfect sense to me. I'm still struggling to put together a kit that doesn't require carting around 50 lbs of gear

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Thanks! Makes perfect sense to me. I'm still struggling to put together a kit that doesn't require carting around 50 lbs of gear

John
Yes, I used to load everything into the backpack and cart it around, and then I was using a very heavy F 100-300mm and an excellent but also very heavy A 70-210mm f4. Now I pack what I will need or want to use. When I go out in the cold here I usually pick one of the WR lenses and wear it on a Blackrapid strap with the Nova bag emptied to put the camera in before I go inside. Pentax says this camera is good to -10 degrees but I have used a K10D for nearly 4 hours at -18C. Oops, rambling again.
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Yes, I used to load everything into the backpack and cart it around, and then I was using a very heavy F 100-300mm and an excellent but also very heavy A 70-210mm f4. Now I pack what I will need or want to use. When I go out in the cold here I usually pick one of the WR lenses and wear it on a Blackrapid strap with the Nova bag emptied to put the camera in before I go inside. Pentax says this camera is good to -10 degrees but I have used a K10D for nearly 4 hours at -18C. Oops, rambling again.
You mention that you have had your K10D outside at temps around 18 below. My K10D lives in similar conditions...with no difficulty. They are very good outdoor cameras.

You're Lowepro Nova bag is the exact twin of mine...even down to the lovely dark forest green. I bought my bag in 2008 for my K10D, 16-45 and 55-300.

I now use it to as a storage for my lenses and flash unit.

Question....My Lowepro is not quite a twin of yours...I don't have the nice embossed lettering that you have on your's.

How did you get that ?


I tend to use a smaller Lowepro for my KM and one lens attached. For my old K10D , I usually have my Pentax 12-24 attached to it...love that lens and the K10D....in a Kata 3N1 camera bag. I find the yellow padding is great for locating things like errant lens caps, etc.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Question....My Lowepro is not quite a twin of yours...I don't have the nice embossed lettering that you have on your's.

How did you get that ?


A local sportswear store in Gander, which specializes in embroidering on the outfits they sell, took a design I gave them and produced this for my things. The original cost was about $50 but now I can get any bags or clothing done for about $5. They even match the embroidery colour to the logo on the bag. The only bag they couldn't do was the smallest Lowepro Toploader.

Like some women with shoes I tend to be a bit of a sucker for camera bags, but I have been a good boy and haven't bought one for a couple of years now. I own a number of Lowepros, A Nova 2 (which was stolen from my son in Montreal), the Nova 3 shown here, an older blue Nova 4 that my wife uses for storage, a black Nova 5 holding my older manual focus and film gear, a Toploader Mini my wife uses for travel, a Toploader Zoom AW that has a chest harness, an Orion Trekker II, and the Micro Trekker 200 shown here. All are used when their particular features are needed although the Toploader Zoom does spend a lot of closet time, it doesn't fit the K20D with grip very well. I would really like a Domke bag but they are out of my price range. My wife, Annette, has an older Crumpler 5 million dollar home, a very nice ladies bag since it really looks like a purse (the new ones have a camera bag look).

Rambling again.
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
A local sportswear store in Gander, which specializes in embroidering on the outfits they sell, took a design I gave them and produced this for my things. The original cost was about $50 but now I can get any bags or clothing done for about $5. They even match the embroidery colour to the logo on the bag. The only bag they couldn't do was the smallest Lowepro Toploader.

They did an excellent job, looks professional.

Like some women with shoes I tend to be a bit of a sucker for camera bags, but I have been a good boy and haven't bought one for a couple of years now. I own a number of Lowepros, A Nova 2 (stolen from my son), the Nova 3 shown here, an older blue Nova 4 that my wife uses for storage, a black Nova 5 holding my older manual focus and film gear, a Toploader Mini my wife uses for travel, a Toploader Zoom AW that has a chest harness, an Orion Trekker II, and the Micro Trekker 200 shown here. All are used when their particular features are needed although the Toploader Zoom does spend a lot of closet time, it doesn't fit the K20D with grip very well. I would really like a Domke bag but they are out of my price range. My wife, Annette, has an older Crumpler 5 million dollar home, a very nice ladies bag since it really looks like a purse (the new ones have a camera bag look).

Rambling again.
I like bags too. Got another small Lowepro..a Nova 170 AW I use constantly with my small bodied KM and whatever Pentax lens I have attached at the time.

I find that Domke bags are very expensive in Canada.


I've become quite a fan of Kata bags...seem to be very good quality...unique styling and design...in the past 14 months I've bought two.

One the large 3N1 and the other a small one for my new Canon G12. This Kata is the Kata DHP 485...works well for the G 12.

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Looks like a good set-up. I've got several bags and am now looking for another one as my small one is just a bit too small and my mid-size is hard on my bum shoulder. You look like you've got your needs sorted out very nicely.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:41 PM.