Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:07 PM   #1

Default More Little Things

I'm surprised there hasn't been more entries for this month's challenge - it's such a fun topic.

Here's some little things I shot before I sent the K5 back for repairs. They were taken either with the DA 35 Ltd or the DA*200.

A tangled mess:

Small unit of measure (mm)

Close to clover (any closer and the 35 cast a shadow, it's not quite 1:1)

Little Leaves (I'm not really happy with this one, the dof is too small and I want to re-shoot it. But before I do, I thought I might get some suggestions for other improvements):

Necessary Little Things (if you work much with paper):

Let me know what you think of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:58 PM   #2

I really like the abstract look of the first image and the ambiguity of the last. The others are quite good but these two stand out in their simplicity.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:24 AM   #3

I agree with Ira, very nice pictures with great sharpness
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:42 AM   #4

Thirded, first and last for me as well!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:30 PM   #5

The two that are the most abstract and most ordinary objects seem to catch the eye, I guess. Paper clips and a post-it note (the yellow background) or a binder clip, wadded up rubber band and a stack of paper beating out clover - wouldn't have expected that. Might have to look around for more mundane office objects to be creative with.

The first one was actually one of a bracketed series that I did, thinking about merging to HDR to try to get detail in the shadow. However, the detail there made things too busy and I preferred the more abstract look of this one. I just lightened the highlights (it was underexposed), leaving the shadows black.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:13 PM   #6

The clover was a simple rendering of the familiar while these two were challenging to the viewer because they were not readily identified. This sense of mystery, along with the very simple graphic representation made for eye-catching images. As for HDR, it has its place when we are trying to present the world the way the human brain decodes it however the allure of the photographic image is often more defined by what is not clear and visible rather than what is. Even painters often choose to leave some things lost in shadows or as faint silhouettes in a strong burst of light. Images that evoke a reaction, even if it is just curiousity, are far stronger than those which simply record reality. More and more I am questioning what I photograph and looking for new ways to manipulate an image for that simple visual impact rather than shooting for ideals of sharpness. You will probably see far more posting in grainy black and white from me in future, just crank the DL up to ISO 3200 and start using the noise to add character to black and white conversions.

BTW whoever owns this soapbox can have it back now.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:14 PM   #7

Interesting that you mentioned pictures having impact for some reason, like being simple graphics. I've been finding myself seeing (and photographing) more and more abstracts or strong graphics recently. I'm not entirely sure why - well, we haven't been traveling much and I've gotten bored with taking pictures of pine trees and brush. It's (sort-of) new for me, something to explore that I don't have much experience with.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:55 AM   #8

Nice shots!..I really like the macro world..there is so much to see there.Way to show us the smaller side of our world!
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:57 PM   #9

I do like the macro world, but I haven't been shooting any recently. This morning we had a dusting of snow, so I went out the the Viv 105 macro - at one time one of my most used lens - and a walking stick to use for extra stability. I guess I haven't used this method of shooting macro since I bought the K7 because the camera doesn't quite have enough on the left side for you to hold it and the pole, too. And none of the pictures were all that great - think I'll drag out the tripod tomorrow if we have some more snow (the dusting didn't last long).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:34 PM   #10

i love love love the rubber band. i can't believe i missed a challenge for little things! my favorite kinds of photos!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote