Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:56 PM   #1

Default K-r review

I am just curious as to why Steve's review of this model is not up as a sticky?..I am this close to buying one but am doing the usual excessive research..and just assumed it hadn't been reviewed yet but it's in his reviews now.. The price over the K-x is not that much so I was thinking of going the K-r route.I am also wondering as to what others think of these two models..is there that great of a difference?..Thanks in advance!
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:39 PM   #2

It is a good camera, think they had a firmware fix for some of the earlier issues.

The difference is the new AF system, and the led lights and the lithium battery along with the AA option. But next to that, they are very similar as a photography tool.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:47 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The K-R is reviewed in the current month's issue of Popular Photography.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:41 PM   #4

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:29 PM   #5

Hi Kashka,

There are a few more differences, most prominently a higher res LCD, with about 3 times the resolution -- I didn't know how much I'd appreciate this until I used one. It's hard to check for fine detail differences with 230,000 dots, but with the 930,000 dot screen make this a lot easier for me.

The Kr has a Focus Assist light -- it really depends on the lens you're using as to whether this actually lights up the desired area. If I shot "normal" lenses more, I'd appreciate this feature a lot more. . .the strobing flash as an AF Assist is just a horrible idea. . .

The Kr is capable of 6 frames/sec in high speed burst mode while the Kx max speed is 4.7 -- not really a big difference, and only important if you want this extra speed. . . but if you like to shoot moving objects, a faster fps capability means a shorter blackout time in the viewfinder, so bodies with higher fps are a bit easier to track moving objects, especially with telephoto lenses.

The Kr has an internal 99 frame interval timer function if you care to shoot time-lapse stuff or anything else that could use this mode. I don't use this mode, but if I did, I'd find it a valuable feature to have in-camera.

The Kr uses the new SAFOX IX AF sensor which can be either good or bad according to who you talk to. . . Some say that the new sensor (or its AF algorithms) tend to Front Focus in dimmer light with fast lenses. Many others have no problems and appreciate the improved low light AF functionality. I'm in the latter camp. I've found SAFOX IX is able to lock focus on the first try in most good light, and in lower light, there are fewer micro corrections, so it's considerably faster than all the previous models.

I don't own a Kr, so my assessment is from using my K-5. Regardless, the only AF glitch I've found in my K-5 which uses the same new AF sensor is that with my fastest lens (FA 50/1.4) AF was inconsistent by a few cm at f1.4 with its very thin DOF, but only in light lower than a normally lit room. This was cured by the latest firmware update, and I'm pretty sure that any AF anomalies in the Kr will be addressed in the same way.

Most of the differences between the models are probably more to the degree of usefulness, and the cameras aren't that far apart functionally.

If I were to choose between the two, I'd probably pick the Kr.

The LED focusing indicators would have the least importance though it seems that all the pro reviewers made a big deal about this.

The three feature differences that would be highest on my list would be the battery options, the higher res LCD and the increased AF sensitivity of SAFOX IX.

Battery -- I'd get the optional AA pack, use AAs as the primary (they're rated at @ 1000 exposures vs @ 500 for the proprietary battery), and carry the compact and light supplied proprietary battery as a spare.

I've already mentioned why I prefer the higher res LCD.

With the increased AF sensitivity, the kit lenses are much more usable indoors with available light. Especially with Quick Shift focusing, you can prefocus the lens manually, and use AF for quick fine focusing. I've spent a lot of time and quite a few $$ to find the right fast zooms and primes to shoot available light since I'm such a dismal manual focuser. I can usually confirm fine focus visually, especially with a 1.2x VF magnifier, but finding critical focus without AF focus confirmation is not my strong suit -- it's actually shocking how far off I can be.

If a camera like the Kr was available when I started with DSLRs, I probably wouldn't own as many lenses as I do now. . .

. . . Well maybe not. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:35 PM   #6

Just one thing about the k-r or the k-x is c-af, unless you have a fast focusing lens mounted to the camera. You will not be able to get the 4.7 or 6fps rate. The camera will not fire until it locks focus for each frame. In A-AF you can get the higher fps with the kit lenses. But allot of them will be out of focus. To use higher fps you will need a sdm or the new DC drive lenses.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:15 AM   #7

Thanks so much for your opinions and advice.It's so much easier to make a decision when you hear from others with experience and share what they know.I get a little anal in researching before I buy something and this helps immensely! I think I am going to get the kr as it's not that much more than the kx and it has a few more features.Thanks again!
lisa