Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2011, 2:55 AM   #1

Default Super Moon Shot

A shot of the moon with my K200D and the DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 zoom. Handheld, IS on, manual focus, 300mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/1000th of a second. Taken just a few minutes ago. Cropping, some sharpening and exposure adjustment in iPhoto. For some reason I have problems uploading sharp images from iPhoto to Steve's, which is why I don't post many shots here. It looks like it won't be too bad, but it's not 100% as sharp as it was on my computer. Looks like I've got a hot pixel as well. Without cropping, that wouldn't be noticeable.
Attached Images

Last edited by Biro; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:36 AM   #2

Good picture of the moon! I couldn't manage one since the moon hid all night behind the storm that moved in. Otherwise, I'd be adding to this thread. Hope others didn't have as much rotten luck.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks, Harriet. When I first posted this, I thought I used ISO 800. It was actually ISO 100. As it turns out, I'm glad I made the mistake. I took an identical shot with my Panasonic G1 using ISO 800 but all other settings exactly the same. The result: the white balance was more accurate but the details weren't as pronounced. You can see that image in the Panasonic micro four-thirds forum, where I posted it. The K200D tends to underexpose just a bit and also gets the colors just this far from correct. But I think both add to this shot.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:12 PM   #4

Looks great to me! Some amazing details!!

PS - if you have trouble with iPhoto, you might try using Irfanview to downsize & sharpen before uploading. Although Irfanview is a windows program, it will work great on a Mac using WINE (windows emulation software...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:13 PM   #5

Biro,

Congrats on that super-moon.

Great detail.

Here is mine
Attached Images

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:10 PM   #6

Nice. Isn't it interesting how the position of the moon shifted so much between the two shots?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:06 AM   #7

Hi,Biro,
Nice, sharp shot of the moon. I took a shot or two myself, and am mystified by your exposure settings. Mine was at ISO 200, with 800mm f/8 lens and 2x TC, and I got an exposure of 1/80th sec, which conforms pretty closely to the 'sunny 16' rule. (exposure time = 1/ISO at f/16, for those not familiar with it) Your exposure of 1/1000th at f/8 would seem to make for a very dark picture at ISO 100.

Anyway, here's my shot, after some PP to deblur and brighten it up.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:14 PM   #8

Hi Brian... you're right about the settings. As I mentioned in my second post above, I initially thought I used ISO 800. When I prepared to upload the image, I saw the EXIF data which indicated ISO 100. As it turns out, I'm glad I made the mistake. I took an identical shot with my Panasonic G1 using ISO 800 but all other settings exactly the same. The result: the white balance was more accurate but the details weren't as pronounced. Here's the image I captured with the G1:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...moon-shot.html

A lot brighter and whiter, right? But also lacking much of the detail I captured with the Pentax. The problem wasn't the four-thirds sensor, it was the exposure. As they say, if you underexpose, you can still pull some details up from the shadows. If you blow the highlights, they're gone forever.

So pull the details up from the shadows is exactly what I did. Both images were shot as jpgs, no RAW involved. But iPhoto does have some exposure adjustments, and I used them to tweak the photo. While the K200D does tend to run toward warm colors, the underexposure was probably responsible as much as the camera for the color cast.

Bottom line: The image I posted is probably more like something shot at ISO 200 or 300. If I had the time (meaning if I wasn't getting so cold) I would have tried shooting the image at ISO 100 through 800. But it is my humble opinion that ISO 800 is a bit too much sensitivity. What do you think?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:13 PM   #9

Can't argue with results, that is a great shot with good detail.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses