Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:02 PM   #11

Mating season is brief for these amphibians, so we felt fortunate to have come on the right day. Will return in a few weeks to see how many tadpoles have hatched!

Hope you enjoyed our springtime stroll, and that you will share your comments, critique, and suggestions!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:25 AM   #12

Another wonderful stroll through your neck of the woods ! Loved the shots of the toads - hilarious, reminds me of seeing the same thing (stacking) at ca. 70 feet (20M) with turtles in Borneo, 6 on top of one female !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:33 AM   #13

Kevin - Glad you enjoyed these.

Have never seen such a big stack of turtles - did you get a photo?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Kevin - Glad you enjoyed these.

Have never seen such a big stack of turtles - did you get a photo?
I did. I'm sure it's archived and if I remember there was a lot of water between me and the turtles (and they were dropping fast so I couldn't follow them) so the colour was taken out of the shot by the water (so just green) - I'll try and find it.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:47 PM   #15

Wow! What a great series! I love the frogs, the detail you captured is wonderful. And of course I love the flowers. I don't really have a favorite between your pairs, they seem too similar for me to pick a favorite. They are all wonderful!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 PM   #16

A great series, Mole! I love the shots of Kiner Creek Falls. If you back me into a corner, put a gun to my head and make me choose, I think I like the first one just a bit more. Something about the haze at the top and bottom of the frame. Normally, shooting water like this makes it appear like velvet fog. In these, shots, the water looks like strands from spider's webs,
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Normally, shooting water like this makes it appear like velvet fog. In these, shots, the water looks like strands from spider's webs,
Mole your tramps through the parks are never boring. Really great subjects and captures. I'm with Biro on the creek shot - beautiful. I'm afraid I don't like over-smooth 'velvet fog' water. I like to see at least some texture - just exactly like this, in fact.

Love your work!

Cheers

Bernice
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:38 PM   #18

Hi mole,

Another great series!!!!

Obviously, my favorite is the Toad Pile. On one day last spring, the frogs (not sure of the species) were almost deafening at a backwater area at the local Nature Center park. I wandered around for a while, and while I saw an unusual number of frogs, I didn't see anything like this. ..

Scptt
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:43 AM   #19

Harriet - Glad you enjoyed all of these. Have been experimenting a lot this season with varying DOF on flowers, not always sure which works best...

Biro - I promise to keep all weapons holstered and away from your head! Thanks so much for the input. I usually prefer even longer exposures on flowing water - this was an experiment. Glad you liked the results!

Bernice - Thanks so much for your kind words. Glad to hear you enjoy my hikes - you'll have to come to East Tennessee someday and see the real thing (so much more beautiful than my little snapshots). I do tend to do (perhaps overdo) a lot of the velvet fog water (have heard some call it "cotton candy" water). This was fun to try a little differently...

Scott - So glad you liked the "toad pile" picture. Here's a page with some frog & toad calls, in case you'd like to try to identify your deafening chorus. I would suspect it might be one of the Chorus Frog species (they get rather deafening here in the early spring):
http://www.tn.gov/twra/tamp/frogs.html
If it is chorus frogs, you probably won't see them sing. Unlike the American Toads, Chorus Frogs tend to hide under vegetation when they are singing.
PS - we are beginning to hear the Pickerel Frogs lately - one of my favorite spring amphibian sounds...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Scott - So glad you liked the "toad pile" picture. Here's a page with some frog & toad calls, in case you'd like to try to identify your deafening chorus. I would suspect it might be one of the Chorus Frog species (they get rather deafening here in the early spring):
http://www.tn.gov/twra/tamp/frogs.html
If it is chorus frogs, you probably won't see them sing. Unlike the American Toads, Chorus Frogs tend to hide under vegetation when they are singing.
PS - we are beginning to hear the Pickerel Frogs lately - one of my favorite spring amphibian sounds...
Hi mole,

Thanks for the link -- There's no way I can remember enough of the detail of the sound that I could distinguish between some of the more similar songs, so I'll just have to go back repeatedly to see if I can get an encore performance. I've found some similar sites for IL frogs and toads, so I'll be more prepared and I'll try harder to get some good pics so that should make IDs easier. With frogs, there are only a relative few species to deal with so I should be able to become reasonably familiar in the common local frog languages without too much problem.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote