Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default Oldie but goodie

I went out to dinner last night and this is what the hostess was using to photograph the gathering (equinox dinner), yes that is a 1.4
Attached Images
  
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Great pix....nice to see an almost 40 year old camera in action. I've got the next in line to the Pentax ES....the Pentax ES 11 (bought new in '74 or '75...I can't remember ) ...also black bodied. Great camera, although I just have the Takumar F 1.8.

A Canadian..or at least a non American market camera...Asahi Pentax...think they were still Honeywell Pentax in the states....at that time.

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Great to see an oldie but goodie still being used. What did she think of your dSLR?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

She liked it but she is still a film person for now, with such a great camera I can't blame her. The look for brass shining through all of the worn metal corners makes it look so classic. I should have taken the time to get some pictures of the camera itself.
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Biro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 835
Default

A great old camera; lovely to see it still being used as intended.

Ira... living and working where you do these days, which do you think is more at risk in the very cold weather: the electronics and batteries of the modern DSLR or the film inside an older SLR?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,522
Default

Really nice B&W work - looks very "film-like"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

A Canadian..or at least a non American market camera...Asahi Pentax...think they were still Honeywell Pentax in the states....at that time.
Hi Les,

It was sometime around then, I got my Honeywell Spotmatic in '67. Right after High School. I'm pretty sure it came with the 1.4.

It wasn't too many years before they were branded Asahi -- sometime in the mid-'70's for sure. I strangely remember feeling somehow betrayed when they changed the branding. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Les,

It was sometime around then, I got my Honeywell Spotmatic in '67. Right after High School. I'm pretty sure it came with the 1.4.

It wasn't too many years before they were branded Asahi -- sometime in the mid-'70's for sure. I strangely remember feeling somehow betrayed when they changed the branding. . .

Scott
My first flash....bought in Canada...was a Honeywell 100. I recall looking at the very large Honeywell Potato Masher flash (couldn't afford) and trying out and wanting the Honeywell Spot Meter.

The Pentax accessories up here, back then were called Honeywell....but the cameras were Asahi. The Cdn. distributor if I recall was a Canadian firm ...McQueen....think they were based in Vancouver, B.C.

The American distributor I guess was Honeywell, back then.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
A great old camera; lovely to see it still being used as intended.

Ira... living and working where you do these days, which do you think is more at risk in the very cold weather: the electronics and batteries of the modern DSLR or the film inside an older SLR?
I think that a film camera is more at risk than a DSLR because of two issues:

1- It is so dry here that static electricity can build up in a camera as you wind or rewind the film. The static discharges inside the camera can fog the film or leave little lightning marks on your pictures.

2- Film gets very brittle at these temperatures and can break (especially when rewinding).

The only real issue for a weather rated camera like this K20D is battery life, it can be very brief at -20C. This week the temperature is in the minus teens, downright balmy.
__________________
Ira
Riverview, NB, Canada
http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/
_______________________________
Current equipment
Pentax K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

_______________________________
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I think that a film camera is more at risk than a DSLR because of two issues:

1- It is so dry here that static electricity can build up in a camera as you wind or rewind the film. The static discharges inside the camera can fog the film or leave little lightning marks on your pictures.

2- Film gets very brittle at these temperatures and can break (especially when rewinding).

The only real issue for a weather rated camera like this K20D is battery life, it can be very brief at -20C. This week the temperature is in the minus teens, downright balmy.
Ira,

Your batteries in the K20D maybe getting at the end of their useful life. I've used my K10D's batteries and my KM's Sony batteries out and about at 20 below and colder for a couple of hours and I haven't noticed any significant difference in life.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:53 AM.