Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:27 AM   #11

Thanks all... I appreciate your replying to this. Makes me feel welcome and at ease. I do truly appreciate that.

A note on the K20D. Fine camera. I had copies that were pretty "soft" and which I could never quite dial in to my lens collection somehow. My third copy was outstanding in this regard, but I experienced a certain level of noise at low ISO when underexposing shots. I do not do much HDR, but I do some exposure blending and when shooting highlights, I often ended up with waaaaaaaay too much chroma noise or something in the shadows. My K10D does a little better there somehow.

That said, I am looking forward to the upgrade to a K5. Considered a K7 but thought that it might be the same thing with shadow noise. I'll make do and wait until the July timeframe to see how low the K5 goes. Will probably upgrade then. Thanks again, and will post a couple now in separate threads...

Kind regards,

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:12 PM   #12

As far as the K7 goes, it has less chroma noise but more luminance noise (think that's what its called) - makes it easier for exposure bracketing for HDR and the results using Nik's HDR Efex are reasonable. If you keep the ISO way down and use a tripod, Photomatix can give good results, but if the ISO goes above 800 or if most of the frames are pretty dark, forget it. It's definitely not a camera where you can underexpose and then "push" the shadows, results are very noisy. You were wise to skip the K7 since you had that type of issue with the K20.

The K5, on the other hand, is a dream for this type of thing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You were wise to skip the K7 since you had that type of issue with the K20.

The K5, on the other hand, is a dream for this type of thing.
THANK you. Until now I had no direct evidence of this. Asking this kind of thing in some forums sparks... er... debate. I figured as much.

Yes, K5... looking forward to that. July timeframe. I MIGHT be convinced to do it in the baseball season timeframe as well... say April/May...

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote