Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:58 AM   #1

Default Introduction

I just wanted to drop a note of introduction here since I have an affinity with the Pentax community.

I was here a while back and drifted off. This venue however, seems more right sized for me than other venues, so I am glad to be here.

At present I am at a K10D with DA15mm, F 28mm f/2.8, FA 50mm f/1.7, DA16-45mm, DA 55-300mm, and a Tamron 28-75. I am moving towards primes and probably will add a DA21mm eventually.

I was never satisfied with any of the K20dS I've owned and never went to the K7. So it looks like the next upgrade for me is the K5. More a matter of price point now than anything, though I will be interested to see where the K5 Low EV FF issue lands.

More than anything I like to get out and shoot. Obsessing with equipment is not for me productive. I need fewer lenses, not more. If the 16-45mm had not won me several ribbons and even a photo of the day here I'd probably let it go. The Tamron I hardly use, but when I do the range is just right... ish.

I've noted that I do not necessarily get a whole lot of feedback on stuff in the dedicated forums. Any objections to me posting my stuff here? Interests include Landscape and Architecture. I do people pictures, but they are almost all family photos and I keep those out of the forums.

Anyway, nice to be here and look forward to contributing.

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2

May I be the first to welcome you! I can't speak for everyone, but I would love to see pictures you have taken! Always nice to see, and learn different things! I think you'll like it here, I know I do
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Welcome. I've still got my K10D...does most of what I want. Also have a KM, nice little camera that has been great.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaain.gray View Post
I just wanted to drop a note of introduction here since I have an affinity with the Pentax community.

I was here a while back and drifted off. This venue however, seems more right sized for me than other venues, so I am glad to be here.

At present I am at a K10D with DA15mm, F 28mm f/2.8, FA 50mm f/1.7, DA16-45mm, DA 55-300mm, and a Tamron 28-75. I am moving towards primes and probably will add a DA21mm eventually.

I was never satisfied with any of the K20dS I've owned and never went to the K7. So it looks like the next upgrade for me is the K5. More a matter of price point now than anything, though I will be interested to see where the K5 Low EV FF issue lands.

More than anything I like to get out and shoot. Obsessing with equipment is not for me productive. I need fewer lenses, not more. If the 16-45mm had not won me several ribbons and even a photo of the day here I'd probably let it go. The Tamron I hardly use, but when I do the range is just right... ish.

I've noted that I do not necessarily get a whole lot of feedback on stuff in the dedicated forums. Any objections to me posting my stuff here? Interests include Landscape and Architecture. I do people pictures, but they are almost all family photos and I keep those out of the forums.

Anyway, nice to be here and look forward to contributing.

Seaain
Welcome Seaain !

Whilst waiting for some spectacles to be made up (30 mins) this week I went down a floor to the used camera shops and found a line up of Km, Kx, 10D, 20D & K7 in a glass case - first time I've seen them all like this. You have some fine lenses (esp. 15 / 50 & 28-75) so I'm sure your kit is capable of outstanding shots - look forward to seeing them on here !

Kevin

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:10 PM   #5

Thanks all... appreciate the welcome...

Kevin... on lenses, I found recently in the course of a month long challenge that invovlved shooting one lens every day for a month, that the F28 f/2.8 is really a wonderfull lens. There is a quality that I cannot quite put my finger on, but for doing architecture detail I found it outstanding...

eg:
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:20 PM   #6

Hi seaain,

Welcome back! . . . and a very impressive pic posted! I like the juxtaposition of the shapes and textures of the concrete against the wispy nature and shapes of the clouds. B&W really brings this out.

I think that though the gear gets its share of attention, the members and their photos get more attention here, and that's why I like it. It's got a slower pace than some others, but that gives people more time to actually see your post.

I hope you find this a comfortable place to visit and contribute.

The K-5
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:46 PM   #7

Welcome! We always love pictures, you'll find everyone here posts quite a few.

I love the one you posted - I'm playing around with b&w recently, it's SO much fun and I've been surprised at what works well, far more than I had expected.

There isn't one camera that fits everyone, each of us has had different experiences. For instance, I never quite got on with my K10 but loved my K20. Your experience is just the opposite. It's great to have all different types of experiences posted here, so someone who's new can get a more rounded view of things. So don't be afraid to post your opinions and experiences - it all helps!

Your F 28 f2.8 is quite a lens - I sometimes wish my old SMC 24 f2.8 had AF, I'd use it far more (it's quite sharp).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:48 PM   #8

Very nice shot, love the simplicity and the repetition. Makes me realize that I should do more black and white.

I just gave my K10D to my son since it has AF issues and he only uses manual focus lenses so he won't mind. I use a DL and a K20D in my photography, unlike your experience I like the results I get from it but must admit a certain soft spot for the DL, that old SONY 6MP sensor has a very nice "look".

Welcome back and start posting more of those wonderful black and white images.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:32 AM   #9

So glad you decided to come back by, and to share your talents and unique perspectives!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:17 AM   #10

Nice to meet, you and welcome

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote