Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:05 AM   #1

Default End of Autumn

Well spring is finally on it's way, the blooms are starting to come out in force and the last of winter's scenery is fading fast so thought I would catch some of the old before it's replaced with the new. Not brilliant photo's but trying to get back into the swing of taking macro's in the park near my office.

I love lichen and moss and take lot's of photo's of them, but I'm rarely happy with how they come out. I am pleased with this macro-microcosm, with all the variety squeezed into such a small area.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Like the first one, but think the second one is really interesting. Your lichen/moss (and don't ask me the difference or types, I don't know anything about them) look bigger than what's around us, also more variety. How close were you to the branch? I noticed that you used f9, you might want to try using a smaller aperture for greater dof. It means using a tripod normally. The last time I went out shooting lichen on a rock, I ended up tossing all of the shots as I didn't like any of them. Your second one gives me some ideas of shooting differently, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:21 AM   #3

Really nice job lighting the "microcosm" of lichens and mosses - looks like quite a variety of species there. The grey-green on the bottom is probably some species of Usnea (kin to "reindeer moss" lichens). Not sure of the rest. Great to see some of your fine photos again - thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:47 AM   #4

Thanks both!

This whole bit of branch can't be more than an inch and a half long, I was using my Tamron 90mm Macro lens and ringflash. Yeah next time I will use ISO400 so I can get some more DOF, there wasn't much point using ISO100 for these.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote