Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:31 PM   #1

Default Moving on......

I've decided to move to another camera brand.

Hope y'all don't mind if I drop by from time to time and post a photo or two.

Been a pleasure being part of this groupl

Ed

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:57 PM   #2

Sorry to see you go, I've always enjoyed your shots.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:06 PM   #3

Please continue to drop by.

Out of curiosity what brand did you select ....also...any reasons you'd like to share ?

Always thought your pictures were great and I'm sure they will continue to be, even using another brand.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:11 PM   #4

Hi Ed,

I'm not surprised, with the primary concentration you've shown in studio type work, there are other brands that give you more options, third party accessory access, ease of set up, and better professional support. You've contributed to this forum, and that doesn't change.

I've always felt that this forum is made up of people, and the people don't change when they choose to shoot a different brand. Friendly visits to update us on your work are welcomed as far as I'm concerned. I always seem to learn something from posts from members shooting a different genre.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:35 PM   #5

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

I've decided to move to the Canon Platform. I've started out with the 60D to make sure that the move to Canon is what I want. Once I'm satisfied of that, I'll move to a more professional body. Of course, I've already started putting together some good Canon Glass.

In making my move to studio work, I've found that the Pentax system doesn't afford my some of the things that I need.

If I could afford it, I'd hang on to my Pentax gear and operate two platforms. But, financially, that's not an option for me.

I'll continue to contribute and hope to have some more good work to show you in the future.

Ciao`

Ed

Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:41 PM   #6

This is my second attempt at a response, internet here has been very unreliable lately.

Couldn't you at least pick a camera system that focuses in the right direction like Nikon

As Scott put it, you clearly have outgrown the system and are running into its limitations. I think Pentax is the best system for the amateur who just enjoys photography and like to experiment now and then but... When things get serious or specialized only Nikon and Canon offer special lenses such as tilt/shift, offer a full range of camera models including two tiers of full frame models, and have extensive third party support.

Too bad you can't stay with Pentax. I was a two system guy before digital, having an MF Pentax system and an AF Minolta Maxxum system. I may soon return to that two-system status since Sony's new SLT models give me something I don't get from my Pentax models (blinding speed and AF video) and I already own a Maxxum 35-70mm f4, 50mm f1.7 and 70-210mm f4 lens. Sony does not have the ruggedness of my Pentax K20D so it will remain my primary system. This means I don't have any extra expense to switch.

Good luck and best wishes, post here an address where we can see your images.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:01 PM   #7

I also am glad you plan to stop by this forum regularly. I have never done a studio shot in my life and I always enjoy looking at your work since it is so different from my photography. I hope your Canon gear provides you with whatever you find lacking in the Pentax lineup.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:27 PM   #8

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't go Nikon - a friend of mine was talking about Nikon's flash system and it sounds amazing. If I were to do much studio/indoor stuff that's what I would look at first.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm somewhat surprised you didn't go Nikon - a friend of mine was talking about Nikon's flash system and it sounds amazing. If I were to do much studio/indoor stuff that's what I would look at first.

I considered Nikon. Unfortunately, we have two dealers in town who handle Nikon and one of them is Wolf Camera. The other one will be glad to order you anything you want. And, everytime I've walked in there to talk Nikon, they've pushed my towards Sony.

Both Nikon and Canon have excellent flash systems with Nikon probably holding a slight edge.

The other B&M carries Canon and Pentax. If I need something for the Canon system tomorrow, I can probably get it from them. Not so with the other guys.

I appreciate the well wishes from everyone and hope that my decision to make the move is the correct one.

Ciao`

Ed

Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:08 PM   #10

Best of luck with your new system and photographic endeavors, Ed. Given your needs, your move is totally understandable. Many Pentaxians operate two systems. For me, the second system is micro four thirds. But if I was doing photography for money, I would probably have to have either Canon or Nikon instead.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote