Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:32 PM   #1

Default FA-J 75-300mm Northern images - Including a wounded bear trapped on the school roof

Well it wasn't a real bear.

This cheapo FA-J lens may be the best 300mm I have owned so far. It seems to be sharper for objects that are closer and the sharpness drops of as your subject is farther away. Not great but acceptable for most of the uses I will have for it.

Includes:
1- local transportation,
2- a conspiracy!!
3- local construction (all buildings are on pilings of wood or metal sunk into the permafrost. This is a river delta so bedrock is extremely deep so buildings must be elevated so as not to melt the permafrost and cause "slumping" when a building starts to sink) Notice the conspirators again?
4&5- The wounded bear
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:52 PM   #2

Default Howling at the midday sun

The lack of sharpness as distance increases is a little more obvious in these slightly cropped images. I tried a sepia effect, gives a little warmth to a cold environment.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3

Wonderful shots Ira. I'm really taken with that band of conspirators. They are precious and adorable. Seeing your recent photos also reminds me to stop whining about how much I want spring to arrive. No matter whether we have an early or late spring, I'm quite certain spring will come to Vermont before it arrives in your area.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4

What fun pictures! Though they do look very cold, still. Interesting about the construction - I didn't realize that the town was on a river delta, I had assumed it was on rock (or ice). Amazing how people can adapt to such extreme conditions and come up with something that works (I can picture a building sinking as the permafrost melts under it). I like the panorama crop of the dog best, then the vertical is also nice (though that's the one where the dog looks a little soft). I like the feeling of place it provides.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
What fun pictures! Though they do look very cold, still. Interesting about the construction - I didn't realize that the town was on a river delta, I had assumed it was on rock (or ice). Amazing how people can adapt to such extreme conditions and come up with something that works (I can picture a building sinking as the permafrost melts under it). I like the panorama crop of the dog best, then the vertical is also nice (though that's the one where the dog looks a little soft). I like the feeling of place it provides.
These shots were at a substantial distance and that seems to be the weakness of this lens. It is sharp at 300mm at modest distances but beyond that it doesn't seem to be sharp at all. These dog shots are cropped substantially so the effect is amplified, I will see if there is any way to improve my technique or if this is an actual lens issue. I am very pleased with the shots taken from closer in.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:21 AM   #6

Hi Ira,

I see the same problem with close and distant tele performance, but at least in my case, I have to think that it's mostly a technique issue. I've got some premium 300mm lenses, and I've always noticed that my distance shots always seemed softer. Then I get some good ones, and realize that I really can't fault the lens when it can occasionally deliver -- the variable is most likely me. . .That's the problem with good gear -- most of the blame for less than stellar pics has to go to the nut behind the VF. . .

It makes sense. 1mm of deflection at very close distances grows to inches, then feet as the distance increases. The "rule of thumb" about FL and shutter speed goes out the window as distances get more extreme. This is where higher ISO can be your friend -- it allows you to stop down to get max resolution, but maintain higher shutter speed to reduce camera shake -- even with SR. There is a point where noise will compromise resolution, but with good light, you probably still have a way to go before this happens. I realize that you were shooting at close to 1/1000, but it would probably be worthwhile to try even faster shutter speeds to see if it makes a difference. I find myself making up new "rules" for my own shooting all the time. . .

Like Harriet, I like the pano ratio shots, both vertical and horizontal. They more effectively isolate the dog and give a sense of space.

I'm just getting used to the idea that I might be able to go outside and actually shoot for more than a few minutes at a time. . . these pics haven't helped me get out of the winter mindset. . . nor have Harriet's or pboerger's from CA. . . I'm going to have to get out and look for some signs of spring -- but it looks to be 30's (F) for a couple of more days here. . .

Great fun shots.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Ira,

It makes sense. 1mm of deflection at very close distances grows to inches, then feet as the distance increases. The "rule of thumb" about FL and shutter speed goes out the window as distances get more extreme. This is where higher ISO can be your friend -- it allows you to stop down to get max resolution, but maintain higher shutter speed to reduce camera shake -- even with SR. There is a point where noise will compromise resolution, but with good light, you probably still have a way to go before this happens. I realize that you were shooting at close to 1/1000, but it would probably be worthwhile to try even faster shutter speeds to see if it makes a difference. I find myself making up new "rules" for my own shooting all the time. . .

Scott
Well Scott I think this hits the nail on the head. The vertical pano of the dog was shot at 1/1250s but it was hand held, and a "grab" shot since I was in the middle of the harbour at the time heading for the store. The SR is probably hard pressed to deal with such a long focal length (the longest Pentax has made in this digital era is 300mm) and my hands are not that steady. If I were using a monopod, or at least stopping and carefully positioning myself (such as down on one knee) it probably would have been sharper. It is difficult to tell from the original file if this is focus error or camera shake but the slightly "thick" edges around the dog suggest that camera shake may indeed be the issue. I may end up setting the camera at 1/4000 and letting the ISO and aperture fall where they may. It is bright enough here to get away with that.

Thanks

Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:46 PM   #8

I mentioned that this may be my sharpest 300mm so far, then I realized that it is the first 300mm zoom I have owned with an aspherical element. I am not sure how much that means for sharpness but my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 was also a budget lens with a plastic mount but no special elements, and my F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 (which I still own) is of much sturdier build quality (being a mid range rather than a budget model), has a metal mount and internal zoom but again no special elements. Both of my current longer zooms are newer designs, this FA-J has the AL designation and my DA 50-200mm WR has the ED designation of an extra low dispersion glass element. Both of these lenses seem sharper than my old long zooms (except for the excellent A 70-210mm f4).

Newer coatings and special elements may be what makes these budget zoom lenses as good as they are.

On a totally unrelated point, call me a hypocrite, I now have UV filters on two of my lenses. The FA 35mm f2 and the FA 28-105mm f3.2-4.5 both get used a lot and have snap on hoods that need to be reversed to put them in the bag. Since the FA 35 is such a great lens I need it protected, as for the 28-105, it rattles around in a bag whenever I go out since I take it and the DL everywhere. The FA 35 has a decent Hoya and I tested for filter flare and haven't found any (yet) as for the zoom, it is a decnt walk around lens which doesn't seem too upset at the filter. I have not put filters on my WR lenses because they have the special coating that resists dirt, and everything else has a metal lens hood (even the FA-J 75-300mm which has an old Takumar 200mm metal hood, and the M 100mm macro which has a Takumar 100mm hood). So, guilty as charged.

One more picture to make the post worth while, here is the result of ice fog on an antenna tower:
Attached Images

Last edited by Monza76; Mar 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:14 AM   #9

Such a cute photo of "the conspiracy!" A really nice series illustrating both the capabilities of the lens, and the diverse talents of the photographer!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote