Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:55 PM   #1

Default Harpers Ferry

Hello everyone

Its been quite some time since i posted anything here; I have been popping in to check out everyone's wonderful photos but have been very busy lately so haven't participated much in commenting.

CRISS repaired my k20d free of charge and it came back good as new!

I took my camera out to Harpers Ferry, about 20 mins from where I live and got over 1000 shots of old 1800's architecture/mountain and water landscapes/kayakers/wildlife etc.

I dont want to bombard you with images so I will be posting these over time. Watch out for the copperhead! My first sighting of one in the wild

NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:57 PM   #2

Im rather disappointed at the quality- Im not getting it.

These are cross posted from Flickr, and the Flickr images are MUCH sharper

Steves forum is severely degrading the IQ, but nonetheless heres the rest and enjoy

I had a lot of fun taking these
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Fun Fact: On Mozilla firefox, the IQ is quite normal ut on IE, they look very soft.

It looks like IE is butchering the viewing quality, not steves!

I reccomend getting mozilla if you dont already have it.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:07 PM   #4

Thanks for looking..

All taken with the CZ pancolar 50mm 1.8, cz 29mm 2.8, cz 200mm jena 2.8

Take care!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5

Oh these photos bring back many memories. My wife and I lived in Harpers Ferry for two years, and Sheperdstown (20 minutes away) for three, when we were newlyweds back in the late 1980s. How well I remember those wonderful views of the spectacular water gap where the Shenandoah River flows into the Potomac, and crosses the Shenandoah ridge. We used to hike up into the hills, and when we were feeling less energetic, we'd stroll along the C&O Canal Towpath. Thanks for sharing these photos and bringing back the memories of the early years of our marriage.

Last edited by mtnman; Mar 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:17 AM   #6

Very nice to see some of your fine & diverse photos again! Some great scenery and very interesting views!

PS - are you sure that's a copperhead? Looks very different from those we see here in East Tennesee...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7

An interesting selection of pictures, I like them. Looks like a lovely area that I'd love to visit.

They look all right to me, but then I use Safari. I have Firefox but am usually just use Safari.

I would have guessed it was a cottonmouth. When I looked up copperhead in Wikipedia, it referred to two different pit vipers, one being the cottonmouth (water moccasin).

Either way, it's a poisonous pit viper no matter what you call it, and a snake to give a wide berth to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
An interesting selection of pictures, I like them. Looks like a lovely area that I'd love to visit.

They look all right to me, but then I use Safari. I have Firefox but am usually just use Safari.

I would have guessed it was a cottonmouth. When I looked up copperhead in Wikipedia, it referred to two different pit vipers, one being the cottonmouth (water moccasin).

Either way, it's a poisonous pit viper no matter what you call it, and a snake to give a wide berth to.
I live in the Shenandoah Valley and have traveled several times to Harpers Ferry, a great place to visit. As for the snake the cottonmouth (water moccasin) is not common to this area of West Va. but I agree that it doesnít look like a copperhead. Over the years when living in the country I have killed many copperheads and the color and markings (or lack of) donít match. Iím not sure what it is but I donít believe itís a copperhead.
FYI one of the things I love seeing at Harpers Ferry are the trains. If you are a railroad fan it is a great place for shooting trains.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:35 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments everyone. Im not 100% on the snake, Im sure some of you would know better than me. It was actually a very strong copper color, which gave me the impression that it was. There was a rock overhand above the snake so I believe the color looks a bit desaturated in the photo. It would have looked more natural of I boosted the reds in the shot. Nonetheless, whatever it was - that was as close as I was getting to it