Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:51 AM   #1

Default Yale University Architecture - Plates 21 - 25

Plate 21 - Detail - Stairwell, Yale Center for British Art. The same space as many of yesterday's photo. There is a statue at the bottom. You can see here that the stairwell is inside a tube (lower left). It is not perfectly clear what the overall effect is in person, but there is a hint.

Plate 22 - Ceiling, Yale Center for British Art.
A little miss that I end up liking anyway. Massive is scope.

Plate 23 - Ceiling, Yale Center for British Art.
This is a shot that includes the outside of the stairwell, which is tube or cylinder in the left of the photograph. This is an example of where I started seeing more abstractly, and while this is a bit muddled, I rather like the effect. I was experimenting with perspective here and trying to get a handle on what works. I found in post that to really ground the composition, I had to line up the lines in upper left, and square that with the beam passing through the center of the composition. This is what I meant when I said you often have to ground at least one line with the square of the photo frame. In this case I'll let you judge if that quiets the composition sufficiently.

Plate 24 -
Rosencrantz Hall - Detail, Interior Gallery. I've been fascinated by this space. This is taken from the third floor. There are bridges going across at the level above and the level below. A wider shot would do this space more justice perhaps, but I am pleased with the results here. Oh, yes, and this was taken with a K-r at ISO 1600. Hand held. (K-r since sold).

Plate 25 - Detail, Malone Center. This is the last in the series of Yale University with my F 28 f/2.8. All subsequent shots with a DA15mm

I love this shot as an architectural abstract. Taken in the orientation shown here, standing under a triangular window that juts into the alley between the ultra-modern Malone Center (remember the curving hallway with the nice autumn scene) and Watson Hall (at the top of the frame). I find this to be a very strong graphic and a nice juxtaposition with decent tension created by the dead space in-between. It could use some work. Noise reduction and some highlight recovery in the sunlit portion, but I thought I'd offer up my first attempt for comments.

Again, this was taken with a K-r.

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:37 PM   #2

Interesting series again Seaain.

I like #22 the best, however maybe a shot of just the concrete and windows would have been better - I find the two small windows at the bottom distracting.

Same goes for #25 - I would certainly crop off the excess black at the bottom and maybe even the opposite building at the top.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Interesting series again Seaain.

I like #22 the best, however maybe a shot of just the concrete and windows would have been better - I find the two small windows at the bottom distracting.

Same goes for #25 - I would certainly crop off the excess black at the bottom and maybe even the opposite building at the top.
Thanks for your comments... I avoided cropping as apart of this exercise...that is framing and taking a picture each day for a month with the same lens.

That said, I agree with you on the small windows, and probably could have framed that differently. i found the continuation of the patternin in the roof in the lights above those windows interesting, but agree with your assessment.

On the "abstract" would you crop to a different aspect ratio, or would you maintain 2x3 ratio? I ma thinking you mean crop to a more square format... perhaps i should try photo of the day...

Good suggestion. Every time I go by there now with a different lens I am going to have to try it... As I often use primes and like to avoid cropping, it may take me some time... heh... hmm... perhaps I need to buy that 40mm?

Thanks... I value and appreciate this input very much.

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Another interesting series. I like the colors in #24 - the blue of the skylights and the yellow of the indoor lights. Though I do wonder what the hall and the end of the hall looks like, if interesting I might have wanted to shoot with something wider (if not, then it's better as you did it).

I wouldn't crop the building on the top - it's the old vs. new that I find interesting, along with the point from the new to the old made by the jutting window. Cropping a bit of the black is probably a good idea. If you don't mind doing HDR, it might (or might not) work as an HDR if you were to exposure bracket. If it were my scene, I'd probably try it and then decide whether it works or not (it could very well look awful, HDR is not always a good idea).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote