Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:02 PM   #1

Default LBA has finally reached me...

Well, i just bought a lens, I have been trying to get a long range lens the last couple of weeks, been thinking of both mirror lenses, the bigma or a TC....however, today at Swedens version of ebay I just bought something entirely different, something that I may or may not need...

A Pentax SMC FA 28-70 F/4.0 AL , I read some reviews on PentaxForums (lensdatabase) and they all seem conclusivly great. So I bought it...
50€ is not that much or a lens in mint condition...so hopefully I have it in the next couple of days...
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)

Last edited by CyberTron; Mar 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM.
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:06 PM   #2

Hejsan CyberTron och många hälsningar från här i central Finland. I am sure the lens will be very useful! Nice price! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hejsan CyberTron och många hälsningar från här i central Finland. I am sure the lens will be very useful! Nice price! Ned
Hej Ned! hälsningar från ett soligt (om än kallt) Gotland
Yes it was actually the price that made me look twice...as I said, I am actually looking for a 400-500mm lens...but they are soo expensive...and my wife don't agree with my hobby That much

/Michael
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:19 PM   #4

I used to own a Tamron 35-70 mm in the days of film on a OM2sp

I found it a useful lens
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:57 PM   #5

Michael, I also have been looking for something in the 400-500mm range, I find that I must crop the images from my 300mm to much. I also have not found anything that my wife thinks that I can afford, being retired. The 70-300 is great for the grandkids soccer games but they mostly play in the evenings and the lens is a little to slow and the K2000 high ISO is not to good. So I have also been thinking of a 12mp sensor like a Kx or Kr, better ISO and better results after cropping. My 15mp point & shoot crops better than my K2000, are you happy with 50% crops out of your Kx.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:07 PM   #6

Hi Michael,

The Tamron 28-75/2.8 was the first lens I bought -- actually ordered my DS along with this lens, and it's always been my goto "people" lens, as I find the FL range about perfect for the purpose.

The FA28-70/4 should easily The extra stop of max aperture was a necessity for darker venues, but the greater low light sensitivity of later model Pentax bodies probably makes up for this, and the cleaner sensors at higher ISO also compensates from an exposure standpoint.

One of the reasons I chose the Tamron was that it was considerably smaller than the other f2.8 lenses in this range as it used aspheric lens elements to reduce the front element to 67mm compared with the 77mm that's more normal for a lens of this spec. I felt that it would be more pocketable, and would be less intimidating to the people I shot. This has turned out well, and the f4 Pentax should give you the same qualities.

Congrats on the lens. Sounds like you got a very good lens at a very low price!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:21 PM   #7

I have the FA 28-70mm, it is by far my sharpest autofocus zoom. This is a light weight lens with a couple of flaws such as the not-so-great feel (feels a little cheap) and the rotating front element which makes polarizers a challenge, but it makes up for this by being a very sharp lens. I think this is second only to the FA* and DA* f2.8 lenses for image quality, while being only a fraction of their size and weight (52mm filter ring). Good find, I only paid $75 Canadian for mine at Henry's used department in Toronto.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
A Pentax SMC FA 28-70 F/4.0 AL
It's a nice lens. I like it quite a lot. I personally think it can stand up close to the Tamron 28-75 which is saying something. I liked it for candids. Having done a bunch of architecture since at 28mm, I might be tempted to think it would do that well also. Color rendition as I recall is fairly typical of FA colors and therefore not bad at all!

Following photo shot at f/4. Note the depth of field. Note sharpness in the eyes. This is one of my standard photos for showing what this lens can do. It's a nice lens.

Extremely compact. If I had kept my Kr, I'd have picked another one of these up as my standard lens for that body. I only got rid of mine because I had the Tamron. The compactness is awesome as is the constant f/4. With that lens a K-r would not be much bigger or heavier than a Fuji superzoom.

Be aware that some have complained of an issue that sounds like separation of two of the elements. This manifests as haze. Check your copy out closely in this regard to determine if a return is in order. I had mine for two years and no issues of any kind. Enjoy!

Seaain

Last edited by seaain.gray; Mar 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM.
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Michael, I also have been looking for something in the 400-500mm range, I find that I must crop the images from my 300mm to much. I also have not found anything that my wife thinks that I can afford, being retired. The 70-300 is great for the grandkids soccer games but they mostly play in the evenings and the lens is a little to slow and the K2000 high ISO is not to good. So I have also been thinking of a 12mp sensor like a Kx or Kr, better ISO and better results after cropping. My 15mp point & shoot crops better than my K2000, are you happy with 50% crops out of your Kx.
Hans
Hello hans, I agree i have the 55-300 and it is a great lens (for me) it works for most of my photos, altough I seem to need longer focal range because, like you, I need to crop alot of my photos....I'm relativly happy with most of my crops, after some PP ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Michael,

The Tamron 28-75/2.8 was the first lens I bought -- actually ordered my DS along with this lens, and it's always been my goto "people" lens, as I find the FL range about perfect for the purpose.

The FA28-70/4 should easily The extra stop of max aperture was a necessity for darker venues, but the greater low light sensitivity of later model Pentax bodies probably makes up for this, and the cleaner sensors at higher ISO also compensates from an exposure standpoint.

One of the reasons I chose the Tamron was that it was considerably smaller than the other f2.8 lenses in this range as it used aspheric lens elements to reduce the front element to 67mm compared with the 77mm that's more normal for a lens of this spec. I felt that it would be more pocketable, and would be less intimidating to the people I shot. This has turned out well, and the f4 Pentax should give you the same qualities.

Congrats on the lens. Sounds like you got a very good lens at a very low price!

Scott
Thanks Scott, yes, the lens is 1/2 stop slower than my kitlens, but it is 1.5 stop faster at the long end (if I calculate correctly), which will make a difference. And it seems to have gotten great reviews except that it feels cheap (and it is cheap )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I have the FA 28-70mm, it is by far my sharpest autofocus zoom. This is a light weight lens with a couple of flaws such as the not-so-great feel (feels a little cheap) and the rotating front element which makes polarizers a challenge, but it makes up for this by being a very sharp lens. I think this is second only to the FA* and DA* f2.8 lenses for image quality, while being only a fraction of their size and weight (52mm filter ring). Good find, I only paid $75 Canadian for mine at Henry's used department in Toronto.
Hi monza, seems great! I can't wait to lay my hands on it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaain.gray View Post
It's a nice lens. I like it quite a lot. I personally think it can stand up close to the Tamron 28-75 which is saying something. I liked it for candids. Having done a bunch of architecture since at 28mm, I might be tempted to think it would do that well also. Color rendition as I recall is fairly typical of FA colors and therefore not bad at all!

Following photo shot at f/4. Note the depth of field. Note sharpness in the eyes. This is one of my standard photos for showing what this lens can do. It's a nice lens.

Extremely compact. If I had kept my Kr, I'd have picked another one of these up as my standard lens for that body. I only got rid of mine because I had the Tamron. The compactness is awesome as is the constant f/4. With that lens a K-r would not be much bigger or heavier than a Fuji superzoom.
Be aware that some have complained of an issue that sounds like separation of two of the elements. This manifests as haze. Check your copy out closely in this regard to determine if a return is in order. I had mine for two years and no issues of any kind. Enjoy!

Seaain
Wow, the sharpness seems great! great picture..
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:32 AM   #10

Congratulations on your purchase, and looking forward to seeing some of your great photos with it!

PS to Seeain - what a great portrait!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote