Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:57 AM   #11

Ferns are unrolling their new fronds - the curled-up fronds are called "fiddleheads." Some have a "furry" covering against the early cold, perhaps also to discourage grazing...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:58 AM   #12

And this morning, the temperature was back down to 30 degrees F, so I need my coat too!

Hope you enjoyed these new greens of the season, and that you will share your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:59 PM   #13

Great job on those small delicate blooms! And an interesting observation on the appearance of Fall colors in Spring.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:11 PM   #14

I had never noticed that the oaks and maples have their fall colors out in spring - a harbinger of things to come I guess. I love the macro/close-ups of those tiny flowers, wonderful shots!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15

Wow the Frasers Sedge and Blue Cohosh are fascinating, beautiful shots all around!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:39 PM   #16

I am always impressed with the pictures you post. It's obvious that you very much enjoy your photography and your job -- lucky man.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:53 PM   #17

Penolta - Glad you liked the little flowers. Toughest part (for me) is to catch a pause in the spring breezes so the bloom isn't shaking! Isn't it interesting that only certain tree species have the autumn/spring coloring... Surely there is a reason, but beyond my understanding...

Harriet - Thanks so much! This is shaping up to be an incredibly good year for spring blooms. We are seeing many much earlier than usual, and far more abundant. Have already found several new county records for a number of species, and hoping for more opportunities soon to check for some rarer species...

Tachikoma - Frasers is unique among sedges - most have tiny and rather drab little blooms. And Blue Cohosh blooms are so easy to miss - they are tiny and blend in with the luxurious blue-green leaves at a short distance. Botanizing with camera sure is teaching me to (try to) slow down & look carefully!

Tsquare - Thanks for your kind words. I am indeed blessed with work & hobby (and many other ways too...)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:19 PM   #18

These are all so great!! I love all the new leaf pictures (the ferns especially). The leaves are so fragile and perfect and they are very hopeful/vulnerable pictures. I don't know how to explain it. I think they truly capture, more so even than flowers, what is so absolutely amazing about spring.

Haha I sound so stupid, but I hope you get my meaning. These are some of my favorite pictures of yours I've ever seen.

Last edited by BlueSkyHoliday; Apr 6, 2011 at 2:22 PM.
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:23 PM   #19

BlueSky - Thanks so much - was indeed trying to capture in photos some of the mood of the fragility/delicacy of new life. Glad you felt that way too!!