Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:41 PM   #11

Thanks for the compliments - this is the second time I've tried something along this line (merging drawing with structure) but the first time didn't work well. I'm glad this one worked out better.

I might try this type of approach for a full building - the first time I tried to superimpose the drawing over the photograph. However, no matter how hard I tried pushing corners in and out with Photoshop's skew tool, I couldn't get the photograph to match the elevation. Too much difference in distance between the sides and the center since the building was a big one and I had to use something fairly wide. If I fade into the drawing like I did here, I'd only have to match one small area of the building. I would be working off of b&w scans instead of the far more interesting originals. Maybe I can tint the background to look like linen or blueprint, I'll have to think about that.

Hans - I noticed you mentioned pencils, did you ever have to work with ink on linen? Now that's some type of art-work, you can't make a mistake! I've seen some that were drawn reversed, that must have been some type of hard work.

I don't know if the wall/ballustrade is the original one built in the 20's or something that was done later, copied from the original. Or the original wall that's been relocated. But in any case, it appears to match the original drawing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

Hans - I noticed you mentioned pencils, did you ever have to work with ink on linen? Now that's some type of art-work, you can't make a mistake! I've seen some that were drawn reversed, that must have been some type of hard work.
Linen yes, Ford Motor Co. required linen in the 60's but with pencil, I was designing tooling for Automotive assembly equipment, it was all drawn by hand back then. Chrysler required a mat surfaced Mylar sheet (plastic paper) and the pencil led was a soft plastic.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Since I've been having so much fun looking through Seaain's architectural series, I thought I would try my hand at some more.
First things first... perhaps the highest compliment that one can pay someone is to tell them that they have provided some kind of inspiration... thank you for that... this is extremely motivational!

Second... and much more importantly, this is perhaps one of the most inventive, imaginative, and unique things I have ever seen. I must tell you that I am absolutely fascinated by old maps, drawings, photos, etc. I just love doing the "archaeology" on things... often buildings. This kind of thing is truly fascinating to me. The juxtaposition of the then and the now. Digging up the past on a place and seeing who peopled it and what events transpired there...

So this absolutely blows me away. Here we have the architects concept... at the point that it was a vision, overlaid upon the perfect realization of that vision. Wow.

Please tell us more... How did you gain access to the drawings of this place? What place is it? You said you tried others... I know you might not have liked them, but will you try again? Or let us see them anyway?

This is unbelievably cool and it is you now that is inspiring me.

I must now show you my series on the old Winchester Factory in New Haven... together with supporting historical photos...

Anyway, THANK you for the compliment and for showing us this!

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:06 AM   #14

Hans - Mylar is very good, double matted photo mylars last are very durable, though I still love the old linen.

Seaain, old maps are great fun, as are old drawings and photos. I am fortunate to be able to indulge my liking for such things often, doing research about things in the past as they apply to things today.

Ah, as far as the rest of it - ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. I can't find the other picture where I tried to meld a photo with an elevation, I know I posted it here but can't remember when and can't find the thread now. If you saw it, it would answer some of your questions. I've got a couple of new ideas running around in my brain which might or might not work, I'll have to think about it and play around with things.

The location is a couple of blocks from my office, as most of the day-time weekday pictures I post are.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:33 PM   #15

very cool image harriet! fantastic idea ...i really like the transition where the bricks are both "real" and on paper
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:17 PM   #16

As others have said, this was a brilliant idea, and you did it very well. However you got the blueprints, I'm glad you did, as this is just a wonderful melding of a drawing and a photo.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:56 AM   #17

Well done.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:58 AM   #18

Thanks for the compliments! As a little extra information - this wall is not in the location where it was originally, it was moved 20 years ago. So it's the original wall, just moved (perhaps taken down and rebuilt when moved?). I can't imagine them trying to move a brick wall (unreinforced masonry? Another question unanswered) without some type of dismantling.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:47 AM   #19

Very creative and imaginative work, I really like it. Not to mention the research work and resizing that went into it. I wonder if you couldn't turn this into a marketing concept for an architect or contractor and get a return on your work, it's that good,
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote