Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Default Looking For Wildflowers

Today I took a drive to go look for wildflowers. It wasn't a promising start:

Not only was it foggy, it was windy (and drizzly) too:

The orange flowers are California poppies, the same ones that Penolta so excellently photographed earlier this spring. They close up at night and in the wind, so today was a day for them to hide.

I continued along and spotted this lone spot of white in the otherwise grey and drab landscape.

That got me thinking that I should be birding instead of looking at wildflowers, so I stopped at a pond a little beyond where I found the egret. There wasn't much for water fowl there, but this pair of mallards took off and allowed me to try my new camera on some birds in flight. I was pretty pleased with these, especially considering it was such a dark morning.

The first was taken at ISO 8000 and the second at ISO 5000. Both run through DeNoise for noise reduction.

I kept heading downhill, looking for better weather. Finally, a glimmer of hope:

Every time I headed in the direction of where the sun and flowers were, the fog moved in, so I gave up and took a round-about way to go back. Finally, along the Old Ridge Route, I found a few flowers in some reasonable light:

Finally the fog lifted and I retraced my steps (well, tire tracks). This picture was taken not far from where I took the first one:

It was still windy so the poppies still weren't going to come out to play:

By being patient, I managed several shots of one of my favorite common wildflower, the lupine:

The wildflowers are not spectacular this year, but they are nice enough. It was a great excuse to spend a couple of very pleasant hours wandering through some very pretty landscape.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:45 AM   #2

Ah Spring is in the air, even though a drab day. Lovely shots.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:18 AM   #3

Hi Harriet,

Not to dwell on your frustration, but this was an amusing series, since I have felt lately that clouds seem to follow me around. I'll leave the house in bright sunlight, and by the time I get to my destination, the clouds have settled in and I've got flat drab light to work with. . . not that this is always bad. . . At least with the K-5's high ISO performance, I can usually get something out of the conditions, but it's just not the same as real direct sunlight.

Nice series and an amusing story.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:20 AM   #4

Looks like you are about a month ahead of us to spring, nice series. That Great Egret looks like he is trying to keep warm.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:42 AM   #5

I've driven through that area. You will find fields of wildflowers when spring really hits.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6

Don't give up hope, Harriet - the last storm was weaker and the next should be too - one a week, it seems, but maybe this week's will be the last. The soil should be wet enough to keep the flowers going for a while, so you should soon have better luck. Of course all the vegetation encouraged by the rains will eventually dry out, and you know what comes next - it has already started in New Mexico. It is great to live among trees, but in these mountains it has a downside, so I hope you took the opportunity to create a safe zone around your house by clearing away some of those trees - damaged or not - that looked really too close for fire safety.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:39 PM   #7

Scott - glad to know I'm not the only one who seems to have clouds follow them. I really had started out too early for good wildflower viewing, but if I had delayed, I wouldn't have seen the transient egret (he was gone when I returned later).

Penolta - My trees have been thinned out, though there's still one tree that needs to be cut back more as it's once again over-growing the back deck. I need to check one of the trees on the other side - I think it may need to be limbed too as one of the branches has grown too close to the roof. I'm more concerned about fire safety this year and next than I have been in several years - I'm sure the national forest has suffered as much as our subdivision and that means there will be lots of dead branches on the ground. That means lots of fuel for fires.

Paul - The mountains haven't looked as green or with as good wildflower display as last year. It's actually fairly late for wildflowers and some years we get almost nothing. I'm wondering if we will get much more than we already have - the poppies I did find looked pretty far along their blooming cycle.

Rodney - how are things in your neck of the woods? Are you starting to enter autumn and fire season, or are things still wet enough from your huge amount of flooding to keep that danger down?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:46 PM   #8

I actually really like the image of the poppy's and lupine swaying!

The shot down the road as well is really nice.

Trying not to convince myself I need to replace my K7 with a K5... you aren't helping!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:16 PM   #9

I took the swaying lupine, poppies and grass at a couple of different shutter speeds - from freezing both the poppies and lupine but not all of the grass to one where almost everything was moving. I liked this one best as there's enough still to give the idea of the wind blowing without being a complete abstract.

I was impressed with the first K5 I had, though I think over half the shots were trying to sort out my illusive AF issue. This camera doesn't show the same behavior at all - focus has been right on with all of the lenses I've used so far (I still haven't used the DA 10-17). Yesterday I used the 35 macro, DA*50-135, DA*200, DA*300 and the Viv S1 105 macro. I had previously used the 77 Ltd since that was one of my problem lenses with the other camera. So I'm even MORE impressed since I trust this one so much more. While I had shot surfing pictures, I hadn't tried something as the mallards in flight; I didn't have time to switch to continuous focus or continuous shooting. I heard them take off, looked around for them and then took single pictures, panning since they were moving fast.