Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Default SoCal Scenery

On my drive today I stopped and took a couple of series of shots for a panorama. I thought they did a better job of giving you a feel for part of the terrain.

First, the horizontal one. The ribbon of blue running through the center of the view is the California Aqueduct, bringing water from Northern California to Los Angeles. While I've seen it greener than this, the land around here is most often brown.

A larger size: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p500280314.jpg - it's sized at 3518 x 1200 pixels.

This vertical one shows more of the wide diversity visible at the spot I was standing. I've never quite managed to capture the whole vista from far mountains, across the northern Antelope Valley to the foothills of the southern mountains.

Larger size (1440x2873) is at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v26/p394971406-5.jpg .

The first one was made up of something like 8 vertical shots stitched together using CS4 and the second one was something like 6 landscape oriented shots, also stitched using CS4. While they were taken at the same spot, they were looking in different directions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very nice.

i love the parallel lines of the road, mtns and sky in the first ones

the vertical pano of #2 gives good depth and accentuates the distacne
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:47 AM   #3

Good shots showing depth and distance.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice.

i love the parallel lines of the road, mtns and sky in the first ones

the vertical pano of #2 gives good depth and accentuates the distacne
Hard - "the long parallel lines of the road" - its not a road - its the California Aqueduct bringing water to the LA area. No water - no LA....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:40 AM   #5

Nice work.

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:22 PM   #6

It's always interesting to see what others see in some of my pictures. At the time I hadn't really noticed the strong graphical elements of the horizontal lines, mountains, aqueduct, and sky (and to a certain extent, the yellow flowers) when I took the first one - just that the view was so sweeping and I wanted to capture more of it than I could fit into one picture, with more detail than something like the 12-24 would give me (wanted a certain amount of compression though this was taken with the DA*200 as I recall). I wanted to show both the aqueduct and the yellow flowers - couldn't make up my mind what my subject really was, normally a big fault for me.

There's an element that I didn't even notice in the second one. Again, when I was standing on my viewpoint by the side of the road, I was (as usual) overwhelmed by the view, and I wanted to capture a feel of the terrain vertically. I was really thinking more about that spot of yellow flowers showing through the brush on the lower left side of the picture, along with the clouds around the far mountain. What I didn't notice until I looked at it here was the river/stream flowing off the mountain behind me and how it changes from small meanders to large ones on the right side of the frame. I missed that entirely when I was standing there, trying to take it all in.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:48 PM   #7

Stunning! I would have liked more sky in the first one, but it's still a beautiful shot.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:23 PM   #8

Thanks! I was thinking that the sky wasn't that interesting, and I wanted to make sure I didn't have much extra space at the bottom since my main subject was the aqueduct. I did take some later shots with some left-over clouds but they weren't very good (couldn't decide what I wanted to show - the wildflowers or the sky. Framing turned out very badly).