Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Yale University Architecture - Plates 31 - 35

Plate 31 - Detail, Main Staircase Chittenden Hall - Linsly-Chittenden was originally two separate buildings that served as annexes for the old University Library (then located in Dwight Hall - recall that one of my earlier shots was of Dwight Chapel, which was a part of that library). Today, Chittenden is a classroom building.

Chittenden Hall, erected in 1889 by J. Cleaveland Cady, is Neo-Romanesque in style, and this is very evident in this photograph.

Plate 32 - St. Mary's Church, New Haven. technically, not Yale University, but situated on Hillhouse Avenue which is dominated by Yale University buildings. The Church of St. Mary's, New Haven, Connecticut is the parish church of the second oldest Roman Catholic parish in Connecticut, being established in 1832. The first church was built in 1834 and burned down in 1848. The current church at 5 Hillhouse Avenue was dedicated in 1874. It was designed by the eminent architect James Murphy of Providence, RI. The Knights of Columbus was founded here in 1882 by then assistant pastor, Michael J. McGivney. Pastor McGivney is actually interred here in a sarcophagus in the left nave aisle very close to the entrance from the narthex.

Plate 33 - Battell Chapel, Yale University - Detail, Handicapped Entrance. This entrance is just under the bell tower, and this little foyer opens into the narthex.

Plate 34 - Detail - Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University

Plate 35 - Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University - Detail, Cloisters.

Sterling Memorial Library is the largest library at Yale University, containing over 4 million volumes. Designed by James Gamble Rogers, it is an example of Gothic revival architecture, and is adorned with literally thousands of panes of stained glass created by G. Owen Bonawit.

Sterling Memorial Library is made up of fifteen stack levels and eight floors of reading rooms, offices, and work areas. Work on the library was completed in 1931.

While not completely evident here, this area, known as the Cloister Hall, bears carved corbels depicting students sleeping, lounging, even smoking - anything but studying...

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2

I had to laugh at your last comment. So often I see students trying an old-fashioned way of "studying" - trying to learn by sleep therapy. And now, with students using computers for study, you can't tell if they are studying quantum physics or reading Facebook.

This is another wonderful series of a fascinating series. Yale's buildings are so old compared to anything around me. My favorite of this series is the handicapped entrance - I love the light patterns on the patterned floor and wall. Also the first building. What's the history of the building name (Chittenden)? Was that someone associated with the early days of the University? And out of curiosity, do buildings ever change names?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
This is another wonderful series of a fascinating series. Yale's buildings are so old compared to anything around me. My favorite of this series is the handicapped entrance - I love the light patterns on the patterned floor and wall. Also the first building. What's the history of the building name (Chittenden)? Was that someone associated with the early days of the University? And out of curiosity, do buildings ever change names?
Thanks so much for you kind comments. They are encouraging.

The question of the namesake for Chittenden was a hard one but I think I pieced it together. Seems it is named for Simeon Baldwin Chittenden (Hon. MA 1871). The following is presented in the order in which I found and traced into the question.

After the death of Mary Hartwell Chittenden Lusk, her father, Simeon Baldwin Chittenden (Hon. MA 1871) commissioned Louis Comfort Tiffany to design a window to memorialize his daughter in what was then the main reading room of Yale’s new library, Chittenden Hall (now LC 102). One of the central kneeling allegorical figures holds a book which features Mary’s name; the dedication is reinforced on a plaque to the right of the window. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...rial_Window%29

Seems he had an Honorary MA at least ten years at least before the building was built. It seems too that in 1867 he made a 50,000 gift to Yale College (Undergrad Studies).

The below piece confirms that he later contributed 'a much larger sum for the erection of a lovely library...'

http://books.google.com/books?id=HeQ...20yale&f=false

Clearly the lovely library is Chittenden Hall. The Wiki article establishes that it was at one time a part of the library. So this must be the namesake. BTW, I saw the Tiffany window the day I took this shot..

The architect of Chittenden Hall was J(osiah) Cleaveland Cady, a New York-based architect whose most familiar surviving building is the south range of the American Museum of Natural History on New York's Upper West Side.

Building names do not usually change if they are named for Donors or Presidents, Yale dignitaries, etc. And they all are...

Kind regards,

Seaain
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:47 PM   #4

Amazing photos, and fascinating history too!

Especially fine composition on St Mary's, and wonderful use of light in Battell Chapel, but all are very well done!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the explanation - I know of another large University where the building names change periodically (some quite often). I was wondering if such things go on at Yale hence my question. And wow - a Tiffany window - that must be pretty.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
And wow - a Tiffany window - that must be pretty.
Not mine...

Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:13 PM   #7

Amazing buildings so well captured and explained.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote