Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Ma. USA
Posts: 795
Default

Hi everyone, i really do appreciate all of your feedback here and with PMs.

I understand that most of the problem back when i was first deciding on which system to choose was me not knowing what kinds of photography I would enjoy doing. It seems that my interests in different types of photography have certainly changed in the past 6 months. Therefore, my original purchases don't fit my style as well anymore. And when i recently looked for different lenses and bodies to please my new techniques, i was very disappointed as to what was offered.

I am actually concentrating on canon right now and pricing things out based on my current needs. I have now fully realized just how much more expensive canon/nikon stuff is compared to pentax. It's a bit scary, lol.


After doing some math, it looks like I can sell all my current lenses plus k-r body and a few accessories ( extra batteries, hoods, remote, etc) for right around $3,000.

I am looking to downsize with Canon: I am looking at the canon 7D body, the canon 24-70 f2.8, the canon 70-200 f2.8 with or without IS, and a canon 1.4x TC. I can do all that for about $4800... yikes!

So i looked all over the country for canon gear on forums and craigslist, and I was extremely happy with what I found. There is a huge amount of quality used gear being sold for much cheaper prices. Pricing it out with used stuff, I can get the same gear, but for $3880. So assuming i can sell all my gear, i'd only have a $800-$900 difference.

I found many many 70-200 IS lenses used (new condition) for $1600. I found many 70-200 non-IS lenses for around $1200.

I found a lot of 24-70 used lenses for around $1200 as well.

Many 7D's i looked at used were selling for around $1200 too. (seems to be the magic number).

A canon 1.4x TC goes for just under 300 used online.
__________________

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Good luck on your camera search.

Last edited by lesmore49; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Ma. USA
Posts: 795
Default

I have been looking into the IS or non-IS on the 70-200, and i am still up in the air about it. Assuming i buy used, it's a $400-$500 difference.

Obviously anytime I use a shutter speed above 1/200 (or 1/280 w/ a 1.4x TC) i won't need the IS at all. So for outdoor shots during the day, IS would be useless to me (tell me if I'm wrong). The IS would come in handy for indoor stuff like volleyball or basketball maybe...


I realize this is the pentax forum, so i won't go into any more depth on canon specifics.
__________________
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Yes the used market for canon is pretty extensive. So it will allow you to save a bit.

You really can not get much better then the 7D for action shooting. Only other camera in the same league is the d300s. If you have a old canon point n shoot, or can get a old used one for 10 dollar. You can get a canon factory refreb form canon at 20% off plus tax through the canon loyalty program if you send them any canon camera.

But that is a very good set of lenses you are looking at for what you want to shoot. All fast zooms, with good AF speed. Should work well for the sports photography you are getting serious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
Hi everyone, i really do appreciate all of your feedback here and with PMs.

I understand that most of the problem back when i was first deciding on which system to choose was me not knowing what kinds of photography I would enjoy doing. It seems that my interests in different types of photography have certainly changed in the past 6 months. Therefore, my original purchases don't fit my style as well anymore. And when i recently looked for different lenses and bodies to please my new techniques, i was very disappointed as to what was offered.

I am actually concentrating on canon right now and pricing things out based on my current needs. I have now fully realized just how much more expensive canon/nikon stuff is compared to pentax. It's a bit scary, lol.


After doing some math, it looks like I can sell all my current lenses plus k-r body and a few accessories ( extra batteries, hoods, remote, etc) for right around $3,000.

I am looking to downsize with Canon: I am looking at the canon 7D body, the canon 24-70 f2.8, the canon 70-200 f2.8 with or without IS, and a canon 1.4x TC. I can do all that for about $4800... yikes!

So i looked all over the country for canon gear on forums and craigslist, and I was extremely happy with what I found. There is a huge amount of quality used gear being sold for much cheaper prices. Pricing it out with used stuff, I can get the same gear, but for $3880. So assuming i can sell all my gear, i'd only have a $800-$900 difference.

I found many many 70-200 IS lenses used (new condition) for $1600. I found many 70-200 non-IS lenses for around $1200.

I found a lot of 24-70 used lenses for around $1200 as well.

Many 7D's i looked at used were selling for around $1200 too. (seems to be the magic number).

A canon 1.4x TC goes for just under 300 used online.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Frogfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,774
Default

Suggestion : hire a 7D and the lense of your choice for a day or so .... see if you actually like the system before you ditch one and buy into Canon.
__________________
http://frogfish.smugmug.com
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Ma. USA
Posts: 795
Default

lesmore,
i understand what your saying, and your overall point. I think that if there is anytime to change systems, early on is the best time to do it, monetarily speaking.
The next best thing is always around the corner, i agree.

I dont agree with your car analogy though, and heres why. Most times, when you buy a really fast car with awesome HP, you dont really get a chance to use it... speed limits and safety come first, lol. With cameras, when you buy a really fast lens, or a body with great ISO performance, you actually use it, a lot. And while ford, chevy, toyota, etc, may change who's on top from year to year, i think there is a much narrower field in dslr's. Canon and nikon have far more products than pentax/sony/Minolta..
__________________
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Ma. USA
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Suggestion : hire a 7D and the lense of your choice for a day or so .... see if you actually like the system before you ditch one and buy into Canon.
that's not a bad idea, and will definitely consider it. thanks.
Looks like i can rent the 7D, 24-70, and the 70-200 non-is for like $200 for 3-4 days.
__________________

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:56 PM   #18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
Obviously anytime I use a shutter speed above 1/200 (or 1/280 w/ a 1.4x TC) i won't need the IS at all. So for outdoor shots during the day, IS would be useless to me (tell me if I'm wrong). The IS would come in handy for indoor stuff like volleyball or basketball maybe...
Indoor stuff again, at the focal lengths in question, IS is NOT appropriate. You still want fast shutter speeds - 1/400 or better. Now, this means that at f2.8 you're going to have to shoot at ISO 3200-6400. If you don't like shooting at ISO 3200-6400, anti-shake and slower shutter speeds is NOT a good solution. A better solution is either a camera with better high iso performance OR f2.0 or faster prime lens OR flash/strobes (and, of course the flash/strobe solution is the most difficult. Many places still do not allow flash work for volleyball although some do. And strobing a gym is not an easy thing - in the end, much better results but more time consuming and costly than buying a DSLR with good sensor and appropriate lens).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:59 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

So if you are really going to expand into sports photography. Your wallet needs to be ready to pay the fee for admission.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:19 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Ma. USA
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Your wallet needs to be ready to pay the fee for admission.
You're absolutely right. That is something i am struggling with, and with a bit of time and more research, i hope to get beyond that.

It sounds like IS is not worth the price for me. thanks for the help guys! that saves me $600!
__________________
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:43 AM.