Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:17 PM   #31

Hi Eric,

It appears that you are a pretty reasonable person that made the wrong decision in choosing a DSLR system to buy into. This is understandable due to inexperience, but it's really not Pentax's fault nor the fault of 3rd party suppliers either, and getting mad at them really isn't fair. There's ample information on each brand's strengths and weaknesses out there, but you couldn't process it because you couldn't anticipate what you really wanted in a system.

Consider what would have been the case if you'd decided to concentrate on landscape, street shooting, or fine art photography, bought some of the excellent Ltd primes, and compared them to the Nikon or Canon offerings in size, build quality and price. Or maybe you could have decided you liked to focus manually, and wanted the feel of finely damped focusing rings of lenses from that era (at bargain prices, BTW). Nikon and Canon don't offer nearly the same level of backward compatibility for old MF lenses in their cameras, and the entry level cameras are even more limited in this aspect.

. . . but you didn't make these choices. . . and in addition, one of your main complaints is the AF sound level of screw mount lenses. Since in-lens AF motor lenses are in the distinct minority among those offered in the K mount by any mfg, it seems pretty clear that staying with Pentax is not a viable option for you.

My suggestion is that you consider this a lesson learned and move on with the ability to make more meaningful decisions concerning the right system and gear for what you want to do.

Since the discussion of what particular gear from another mfg that you'd like to consider is way off-topic for this forum, I'd suggest that you can get much better information to help future decisions by starting a new thread in a more appropriate forum.

Good luck in your future photographic pursuits.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:40 PM   #32

I've been following this thread with great interest because I was in exactly the same situation about a year ago. I had a significant investment in Pentax gear, and chose to sell all of it. The determining factors were AF IQ, low light/high ISO performance, and of course, the lack of lens choices. With a lot of excellent advice from John G & others who are avid sports shooters, I chose the Canon 1D MkIII, partially because the MkIV had just been released and because they had a lot of early problems with the early runs and the used versions were very nicely priced. I ended up getting one with less than 2000 actuations for $2,000 on KEH.com. I use an ef 70-200mm f2.8 USM (no IS) that I paid $1200 for new and I just purchased an es 85mm f1.8 USM for indoor use, although I have been able to get some very nice shots with my 70-200mm indoors as well. I'm certainly no expert, however, I chose not to go with IS simply because my shutter speed is always 1/500 or higher, & based on my research, there really wan't any benefit of IS with the shutter speed at that level. I'm very excited about my new 85mm, which was very reasonably priced at $414 new and can't wait to get to some basketball games to put it through the paces. The reason, by the way, I chose the 1D MKIII over the 7D was ISO performance & frames per second. Shooting at 10 FPS, I've been able to get some incredible series of shots. I'm very happy with my decision and have a ton to learn, but think I'm making good progress. I can't blame the gear anymore and I now have to work on my technique & skill. Here are a couple of recent examples, the first at 3200 ISO, 1/500, f2.8 & the second @ 6400 ISO,1/500, f2.8. The only changes made were cropping, resizing & the 3200 I lightened slightly in photoshop. I should have had that one at 6400 ISO, but the light conditions were changing and I forgot to change my settings. These pics certainly aren't perfect, but I'm happy with my progress so far. I don't know if this helps, but at least it's a real world, similar experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdnan; Apr 11, 2011 at 8:02 AM. Reason: sp
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Eric, It appears that you are a pretty reasonable person
I would like to think so

Quote:
it's really not Pentax's fault nor the fault of 3rd party suppliers
I agree, i was just inexperienced and unsure of my specific photographic interests. I bought, and was consulted on choices that i made 6 months ago figuring what I might like to pursue. It turns out that I was incorrect on some of those assumptions, and in turn, needed different lenses/body. It happens. I blame nobody but myself for moving too quickly in my current lens choices before i was set in what i wanted to pursue.

Pentax certainly has it's strengths over nikon and canon, but for my needs, they don't apply to me anymore. Nothing against pentax at all.

Quote:
it seems pretty clear that staying with Pentax is not a viable option for you.
I am starting to realize and come to terms with that.

Quote:
Since the discussion of what particular gear from another mfg that you'd like to consider is way off-topic for this forum, I'd suggest that you can get much better information to help future decisions by starting a new thread in a more appropriate forum.
You're right. Shoturtle, John, others; I am going to start a new thread in the canon section for more specifics on lenses/body (so we're not talking about canon in a pentax forum), although i have a pretty good idea of what i want to get in the beginning. I really appreciate everyone's help and input, I read everything and took every post into consideration. I hope I didn't cause a rift between anybody during this thread.

Thanks,
-Eric

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:04 PM   #34

Jerry,
you and many others have approached me recently with stories of how they switched manufacturers, or how they want to just like me. Everyone has there own reasons, but it seems clear that everyone i talked to seemed happier with their switch.

Seaain,
Dont get me wrong, the K-r is great in many aspects, but for my interests it was just on the cusp of meeting my specific needs. As for the FF issue, mine is pretty bad in low light conditions, and just normally bad outdoors in bright conditions. I have my fine focus adjustment set all the way to -10 constantly, and it's still not good. I always have to prefocus on an area just behind where i want to focus and then hope my guess was correct. It's frustrating and something that i just don't want to have to think about. I appreciate your feedback though. I was on pentaxforums.com recently and talked to a few over there who have had their cameras serviced and then came back and it wasn't any better. Most say they are waiting for a firmware fix, but seeing as how pentax will not admit the problem publicly, we have no idea when a fix will come out and if it will even address the issue. In the meantime, it's a difficult issue to work with.

Lesmore,
I feel i have a very good idea as to what i want to get out of a dslr and lenses now. I understand i may sound a bit stuck up, or a know it all, and that is not my intention. You, and most others have been in this field for WAY longer than i have, but at this point, i just feel like I'm in a rut with pentax; i just cant move forward with them.

mtngal, I'm 6'4" and 21 years old so luckily for me, the weight thing doesn't bother me as much as may to others. I personally would rather invest money into starting with a new system, then buying a bigma for example (which would solve my original 1.4x TC problem) simply because the lack of other lenses that interest me are not being made for pentax.

It appears more posts are being added to this thread seemingly every time i type a reply, so forgive me if i have not replied to a specific point of someones.

Thanks,
-Eric

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:22 AM   #35

Well, I stumbled onto this string very late. I wish Eric all the best with his choice. But I offer this little blog essay as food for thought:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ner-grain.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:48 AM   #36

thank you Biro. Very interesting article.
Im not sure i agree with one of his final points though; "And you know what else? No matter what camera you drew in the lottery, you'd love it at the end of the year. Know why? Because craftsmen learn to love the tools they use the most." - http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ner-grain.html

If you end up with a camera that doesn't meet your needs or standards, after a year (or in my case, 6 months) i think you;d be pretty unhappy! Just sayin.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:35 PM   #37

So sorry to hear that your equipment is not serving your needs, and hoping you will be happier with your new kit!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
I was informed that the Sigma teleconverters are NOT compatible with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM Lens with PENTAX mount
-Eric
I really doubt the performance of any zoom mated to a TC. TC is meant to be for long prime lens not zoom. Zoom by design has more elements than prime lens the former of which is a lot more diffraction prone.
But I do agree that choice of lenses in Pentax mount is very limited particularly in the long range.

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Apr 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:59 PM   #39

i have heard great things with the canon 1.4x TC paired with the canon 70-200 f2.8.

Only zooms with a f2.8 (and sometimes with a f4) will AF with a TC, especially the 2x. 1.4x are a bit more forgiving, but still almost unusable with a variable aperture of say 3.5-5.6.

But of course, thats just what i've heard. Im buying both of those canon producs, so, i'll see then. But thanks for the input.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:22 PM   #40

UPDATE:

I have had lots of support and interest from members here, so I'd like to give an update to anyone who may care.

I have had my Pentax gear (1 body + 5 lenses) listed for 5 days now on numerous websites including craigslist (I top post every other day), pentaxforums.com, and dgrin.com.

I have sold nothing...

I have tried listing the items separately and all in one thread. I have reduced my prices 2 times so far, I have added accessories to the sale, I have actively searched and reached out to the "wanted to buy" threads on many forums. I have even "comped" out my prices by going through recent archives of others who have sold the same equipment to make sure I'm not pricing too high.

Nothing is working, lol.

So that's the update, a bit depressing for myself, as I'm worried that I'm going to end up stuck in no man's land with not enough pentax gear (if I sell just a few items), and still no canon gear.

Ugh.