Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
i have heard great things with the canon 1.4x TC paired with the canon 70-200 f2.8.

Only zooms with a f2.8 (and sometimes with a f4) will AF with a TC, especially the 2x. 1.4x are a bit more forgiving, but still almost unusable with a variable aperture of say 3.5-5.6.

But of course, thats just what i've heard. Im buying both of those canon producs, so, i'll see then. But thanks for the input.
That's absolutely not true - as you can even see from the thread I put up yesterday ! http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-x1-4-etc.html

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:13 AM   #42

Quote:
UPDATE:

I have had my Pentax gear (1 body + 5 lenses) listed for 5 days now on numerous websites including craigslist (I top post every other day), pentaxforums.com, and dgrin.com.

I have sold nothing...
This probably isn't a new idea to you, but I had no problems selling my gear on ebay. In fact, I've sold well over 20 cameras & several lenses & other accessories. The reason I mention this is because your gear will sell. It's all in the way it's listed and how effectively you pack it, etc. and start accumulating positive feedback. You have to be careful on shipping because it can cost more than you expect. Of course, the down side is that you pay a commission to ebay, but it was worth it to me after being inundated by scammers on Craig's list. I ended up selling 2 camera's on Craig's list, but the little bit I saved on ebay fees wasn't worth the unbelievable hassle of the scammers contacting me.

Last edited by jdnan; Apr 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:57 AM   #43

Quote:
UPDATE:

I have had lots of support and interest from members here, so I'd like to give an update to anyone who may care.

I have had my Pentax gear (1 body + 5 lenses) listed for 5 days now on numerous websites including craigslist (I top post every other day), pentaxforums.com, and dgrin.com.

I have sold nothing...

I have tried listing the items separately and all in one thread. I have reduced my prices 2 times so far, I have added accessories to the sale, I have actively searched and reached out to the "wanted to buy" threads on many forums. I have even "comped" out my prices by going through recent archives of others who have sold the same equipment to make sure I'm not pricing too high.

Nothing is working, lol.

So that's the update, a bit depressing for myself, as I'm worried that I'm going to end up stuck in no man's land with not enough pentax gear (if I sell just a few items), and still no canon gear.

Ugh.

Hi,

According to your avatar, you live in Western Massachusetts. Perhaps, a trip into Manhattan and visiting the B&H Photo Store maybe of some benefit to you. In addition to selling equipment at competitive prices, they buy back used equipment. I'm not saying that you're going to get a great deal from them on you're old equipment. But, you just may be able to get enough of a trade in to make it palatable.

At the very least, you'll be talking to camera people who know their equipment as well as holding and trying out any camera that you may have interest in.

Good luck in your quest.

BTW, I have no affiliation or personal relationship with B&H other than I have bought a fair amount of equipment from them over the years.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM   #44

Zig has a good point. You gear can be traded for 70% of it's reseller price and use it toward new or other used canon gear. Adorama and BH both takes old gear as trades. The other place I sell stuff on is ebay.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:56 PM   #45

. . . or you could live with your current gear, learn to work around your perceived shortcomings in it -- and maybe become a better photographer from the experience. Try taking the attitude that many great film photographers didn't have many of the advantages that digital photographers take for granted like instantly changeable ISO, auto focus, auto exposure, continuous shutter actuations, instant review, etc. still got the job done. Many forum "challenges" involve limiting yourself to one lens, a prime instead of a zoom, or some other old school approach. Many pride themselves in only using fully manual lenses, shooting at only base ISO, never using P-TTL flash, and the list goes on. . .

You're young, and unless your an exceptionally quick study, with only 6 months under your belt, you've got a lot to learn about photography. I know I still do. . . after 11 years of digital and 40 (admittedly significantly interrupted) of film.

There's a reason that the K1000 (a fully manual Pentax film 135 SLR) had the longest model run in camera history. It was the most often recommended model for photography classes -- you didn't even need a battery -- and it just worked. . .and forced the photographer to find a way to make all the choices. I'm not saying that you have to go this basic, but is it really that much of a handicap using an advanced DSLR as a learning tool?

You say that you can allow a significant budget to your gear. Use what you have with the right attitude, while you can save up enough to buy your "dream" system outright, then you will not have any time pressure to sell, which always puts you into a "buyer's market" position, which is never good for the seller.

Just another perspective. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
. . . or you could live with your current gear, learn to work around your perceived shortcomings in it -- and maybe become a better photographer from the experience. Try taking the attitude that many great film photographers didn't have many of the advantages that digital photographers take for granted like instantly changeable ISO, auto focus, auto exposure, continuous shutter actuations, instant review, etc. still got the job done. Many forum "challenges" involve limiting yourself to one lens, a prime instead of a zoom, or some other old school approach. Many pride themselves in only using fully manual lenses, shooting at only base ISO, never using P-TTL flash, and the list goes on. . .

You're young, and unless your an exceptionally quick study, with only 6 months under your belt, you've got a lot to learn about photography. I know I still do. . . after 11 years of digital and 40 (admittedly significantly interrupted) of film.

There's a reason that the K1000 (a fully manual Pentax film 135 SLR) had the longest model run in camera history. It was the most often recommended model for photography classes -- you didn't even need a battery -- and it just worked. . .and forced the photographer to find a way to make all the choices. I'm not saying that you have to go this basic, but is it really that much of a handicap using an advanced DSLR as a learning tool?

You say that you can allow a significant budget to your gear. Use what you have with the right attitude, while you can save up enough to buy your "dream" system outright, then you will not have any time pressure to sell, which always puts you into a "buyer's market" position, which is never good for the seller.

Just another perspective. . .

Scott
Scott,

I agree completely .

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Quote:

He could go that route and it's the route I chose, however, I have learned 1,000 times more over the last year using my Canon gear than I did the previous five using my 3 different Pentax DSLR's. Partly because I spent quite a bit of coin on the gear, but I think mostly because the capabilities were so amazing to me that I was giddy every time I picked up the camera. I relate this to musical instruments. When I was twelve, my dad bought me a cheap guitar that was difficult to use (hard to keep it in tune, etc.) and I gave up on lessons after about 6 months. When I was 21, I bought my own guitar for $700. Certainly not close to the most expensive guitar I could have purchased, but it had all of the basic features I required to hone my skills and my guitar playing became much better than I would have ever imagined, for much the same reasons I'm becoming a better sports shooter with my camera equipment. Of course I was more mature when I was 21 than 12, but not THAT much more mature, LOL.

Quote:
A valid point as well, however, Eric really didn't ask anyone to evaluate the financial wisdom of his decision. I'm sure that none of us has enough information about his situation to make that evaluation anyway. Eric is young, but he's a big boy, I thinks he's old enough to make this determination without our questioning whether he has the "right attitude" or not. Hindsight is always 20/20, so he'll be able to look back in a few years and learn from this, one way or the other. I made a lot of decisions I would change when I was 21, but I wouldn't have learned from them if I hadn't gone through the process. I spent money on stuff when I was 21 that I wouldn't spend money on today, but I could also decide to eat beans for a year so I could spend more money on other things because it didn't negatively impact anyone that was dependent on me (except maybe the people who had to be around me when I experienced the side effects of the beans! ) Just a different perspective. Either way, I would say he's not making a bad choice. Only he can weigh the pro's & con's of either path, which he seems to be doing.

Last edited by jdnan; Apr 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:39 PM   #48

Well, I'm committed now. Just sold my sigma 70-200 2.8.

I have read everyone's recent comments. I appreciate everyone's feedback and input on my situation. I will have to respectfully disagree with Scott and Les, the old school mentality doesn't work with me personally. IMO new technology is out there to help us (and make money lol), not hold us back. I will never shoot with film. It just doesn't interest me. I appreciate features on a product that improve the outcome. With cannon, AI servo will hopefully increase my focus tracking capabilities. The great amount of lens choices in the genre of what I am looking for will hopefully help me create the pictures I am looking for.

Your K1000 analogy is a bit out there in this situation. I am not a photography student. I do not wish to learn the history of photography, nor film, nor teach myself how to "make all the choices". There are newer cameras now that allow me to not know all of the ins and outs of how someone used to do it. Thats why I am switching; because Cannon will take care some of the things that I would have to think about with a Pentax, and allow me to instead think about composition, or angle, or lighting....

My financial situation allows me to improve my photography equipment, that's all I will say about that subject.

Zig, shoturtle, I appreciate the idea. It's something that I will consider.

jdnan, ebay is something I have though about, and may sign up for an account soon.

Frogfish, my bad, lol. I was wrong. I guess I was making a generalization that a TC works best with a prime lens. the longer, the better. And the smaller the f#, the better.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:49 PM   #49

You are welcome.

I know some really go photographers that really do not know their gear as much, but know composition better. And let their equipment fill in the blanks to get the shot the way they like.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Well, I'm committed now. Just sold my sigma 70-200 2.8.

Zig, shoturtle, I appreciate the idea. It's something that I will consider.
Good luck in your quest. The way I see it, life's too short, get what makes you happy.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote