Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:35 PM   #1

Default Close to my breaking point with Pentax.

Hi everyone.

Firstly, i want to say that this is a rant that i am typing to everyone else here in the pentax forum because i feel like i just really need to vent, lol. I am expecting potential backlash from the community. Please don't take this personally about your choice of camera brand. I mean no disrespect, but this is just how i feel. You are more than welcome to just read this and mov eon to something else, or you may feel inclined to down me down from the ledge (so to speak). Either is fine with me. So here goes!

I am becoming increasingly more and more angry with the lack of support for pentax by 3rd party companies. I am also becoming angry at the blatant lack of lenses from pentax itself. Also, my K-r has really bad FF issues that pentax doesn't seem to want to admit is a widespread issue... I am very close to my breaking point with this brand, and may end up jumping ship to nikon or canon. It's a shame really because i REALLY love the pentax community of people, and i personally really like the menu format and ease of use of my K-r (minus the unresolved FF).

The potential final straw happened about 30 minutes ago when I was informed that the Sigma teleconverters are NOT compatible with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM Lens with PENTAX mount (which is the current version). Unfortunately, I ordered the 1.4x this morning for it, of which i will now be returning upon it's arrival! Apparently, it's the HSM that is causing the problem. It is compatible with nikon and canon... figures, eh? add salt to the wound.

Background info: I entered the photography world 6 months ago. total noobie. I did have a canon sx20is for about 8 months before that, but ONLY shot and knew about the "auto" mode.

Since i bought my first dslr; a k-r w/ kit 18-55mm (trying to sell it) and kit 55-300mm (sold it), I have learned so much about photography and equipment, etc. I have also purchased:
-sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm blah blah blah
the pentax 50mm 1.4
-a sigma 30mm 1.8 (but then returned it)
-a sigma 18-250mm, but have rarely used it, and am trying to sell it.
-I have also purchased numerous extra lens hoods, lens caps, cleaning stuff, a tripod, a monopod, a tenba camera bag, extra batteries, extra memory cards... the whole shebang.
-I was planing on buying the sigma 17-50 f2.8 hsm, or the pentax 14mm, and had plans for a nice flash and flash bracket for this summer.
-I was planning to maybe upgrade to the pentax K-5 eventually too...
I was very disappointed with the noise (audible) level, and slow focus speeds of the two kit lenses, hence the selling of them.

I have been looking for more lenses and pentax accessories to add to my setup since the beginning. I am only 21, and my work life has been relatively nice to me, so i have had a running budget for photography equipment. But i am just fed up with the lack of product compatible with pentax! and that 1.4x TC is really pissing me off. I really was looking forward to having that 100-280mm f4 lens for my budding sport photography, particularly baseball/softball/track/football. Now... i have no other reasonable options other than laying down 3.4k on a 300mm f2.8 prime.

There are just so few damn options. It really limits me especially when looking at what's out there for nikon and canon, both their own lenses and the 3rd party lenses. I have been looking for lenses on Craigslist daily, nationally, for pentax equipment... it is so barren, it's not even funny. Then, just for giggles i'll look for a canon lens for sale and there are gazillions out there for sale!

So... i am seriously contemplating switching over to nikon or canon. I;m not sure which, or what camera, and what lenses, but i'm gonna be doing so research over the next week to find out what i might do... contingent on selling my own pentax stuff.

Well... thats my rant, not sure if any of it made sense, hit home with anyone, or is totally unfounded, but thats how i feel at the moment... And it has been building up for months. I feel that the only thing holding me back right now is the monetary investment held up in my gear.

Thanks, please don't be mad.
-Eric

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:40 PM   #2

Oh, and to clarify,
I am not blaming anyone, including those of you who helped me with my decision to buy pentax gear in the first place. No hard feelings what so ever, no grudges held. I just wish i knew more about photography before i invested so much money because i would have done a LOT differently.

Even things that i thought were no brainers in the beginning, like buying the kit lenses... was a bad idea (for me). I put too much effort in buying a decent body, and didn't know that the lenses were way more important. I wish the K-r was compatible with a battery adapter.. i wish there were more flashes compatible... on and on and on, lol.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:26 PM   #3

Sometime is is very unnerving when you can not get the options you need. While the pentax has a nice AF for general photography. For one of the toughest shooting environment, the lack of a high speed AF lens support can be a issue for sport shooters.

Sorry to hear about the TC issue. But just realized if you do jump ship to canon or nikon, you will have the lens options for sports. But you will be paying a high cost for that. canon 70-200 is 1700-2500 dollars depending on model and the TC is another 500 dollars. That is the cost of membership. Nikon is a bit more. Just realized what you are getting into if you do jump ship. You will have the equipment for sports, but the wallet takes a pounding.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:07 AM   #4

Yes, changing systems can be costly. Especially after lens prices have gone up so much in the last six months. Although not quite as bleak - OP can get sigma 70-200 2.8 for $950 and it will work with sigma TC in Canon/Nikon. Canon 70-200 2.8 non-IS sells for $1400.

Hopefully though, with the success of the KX, KR, K5 the 3rd party manufacturers will step up their game for Pentax. I know the recently announced Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS will be offered in Sigma mount (the non OS version has not been). So, that's a bonus that a lot of advanced Pentax sports shooters are happy about.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:24 AM   #5

I can sympathise but not empathise with your frustration as Pentax and 3rd party suppliers have (currently) given me everything I need from a system. Q. There are many happy Kr users out there .... can you not return the camera or get an exchange ?

Sigma 100-280/4 ? Pentax have a superb 60-250/4.

Why 300/2.8 ? The DA*300/4 is fantastic and a superb BIF combination, fast and accurate. You can also add the Tamron x1.4 and Pentax AFA x1.7 to it to give you 420/5.6 or 510/6.8 both work really well. Or you could get the Tamron 70-200/2.8 and their x1.4 for another 98-280/4.

If you want to splash out there are the occasional Pentax 250-600 lenses on the market - amazingly sharp and totally unique (i've heard you can still place special orders for these from Pentax Japan).

However looking at the money you are willing to splash out on a lense I wonder why you don't consider selling your Kr and getting a K5 if the FF is giving you so many issues ?

If you are primarily going to be shooting sports then I can see how a Canon / Nikon set-up would be attractive - but at a very high price. That $1,400 Canon lense John mentioned isn't even IS enabled .. so you are losing 3-4 stops so effectively an f8 lense unless on a tripod !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:46 AM   #6

2.8 allows for faster AF speeds especially in less then prefect lighting. Or when shooting indoor action in a gym with decent lighting. F4 is just to dark for indoor sports like basketball or volleyball.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:54 AM   #7

Frogfish brings up excellent points as does shoturtle. Every system has their pros/cons. Even within a system. That's why it's important to get down to specific user needs. There are plenty of telezooms on the market near 70-200mm range. Which one(s) are appropriate depend entirely on how they will be used. Does a user need f2.8 or is f4 good enough? It depends. Does a user need stabilized or not? It depends. The biggest problem people buying DSLRs have is people telling them "you need X" without having a good understanding of how the user is going to use the tools. Not everyone needs great ISO 3200 performance. Not everyone needs class leading autofocus performance, not everyone needs the largest lens lineup, not everyone needs an upgrade path to full frame. The only thing that really matters is this specific user's needs.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:04 AM   #8

But I will specifically rebut the following hyperbole as exactly the kind of misinformation that results in bad decision making:
Quote:
That $1,400 Canon lense John mentioned isn't even IS enabled .. so you are losing 3-4 stops so effectively an f8 lense unless on a tripod !
An F8 lens would not have captured these shots - all handheld, no monopod or IS:

we'll skip the rest of the sports shots as I believe everyone here that shoots sports will concede IS on a 200mm or less lens doesn't give you anything. I'll even leave out the outdoor stuff in good light. But the idea that a non-stabilized 70-200 2.8 is no better than an f8 lens is simply false. That's not to say there aren't instances where IS can be beneficial. It absolutely can. That's why the devil is always in the details of how the lens will be used.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Go with the system that meets your needs.

I am happy where I am!

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
But I will specifically rebut the following hyperbole as exactly the kind of misinformation that results in bad decision making:

An F8 lens would not have captured these shots - all handheld, no monopod or IS:
we'll skip the rest of the sports shots as I believe everyone here that shoots sports will concede IS on a 200mm or less lens doesn't give you anything. I'll even leave out the outdoor stuff in good light. But the idea that a non-stabilized 70-200 2.8 is no better than an f8 lens is simply false. That's not to say there aren't instances where IS can be beneficial. It absolutely can. That's why the devil is always in the details of how the lens will be used.
Great shots taken by a Pro !

However, I don't quite think you got the gist of my point (maybe I didn't put it across well). The Canon in-lense IS is widely considered to provide 3 to 4 stops improvement over non-stabilised lenses. That being the case, even if it were only 2 to 3 stops, for most of us a stabilised 300/4 lense is going to be a better tool than an unstabilised 300/2.8. The better light gathering ability of the 2.8 is largely irrelevant in that context (not being able to stabilise the lense and ending up with blurry shots from user movement) !

Unless I have completely missed something

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote