Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Default April Monthly challenge: Seasons

Here we go into spring, at least for us northern hemisphere people! Lets do seasons as our topic. For some of you who don't have winter, spring, summer, fall, use the seasons you do have; rainy, monsoon, dry, cool, or whatever. The idea is that your shot really expresses the essence of the season you choose. Because of the different seasons around the world please be sure to name the season you are picturing.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Congratulations on your runaway win Glen !

Q. If the subject is 'Seasons' are posters restricted to their current season or can they enter shots of any season no matter when the shot was taken ?

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:36 PM   #3

Are you going to allow this one to be open to archive shots, instead of this month/last 90 day shots? It might be interesting to open it up this month (though I, personally, do try to shoot for the topic, it doesn't mean that we should always have that as a rule). You might want to mention that our challenge is restricted to Pentax/Samsung dSLR camera pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
You might want to mention that our challenge is restricted to Pentax/Samsung dSLR camera pictures.
LOL, what brought this up?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:23 PM   #5

Dear everyone, I thought about opening it up to our vast archives, but I think we will stay with the past 90 days and it needs to be Pentax or Samsung equipment! Since the season is just changing it could be winter or spring here and whatever fits in the 90 days where ever you are.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:25 PM   #6

There was once someone who didn't realize that we had set it up for Pentax/Samsung people, and posted a whole bunch of pictures taken with a different type of camera. Since frogfish brought up the question of archive vs. recent shots, I was thinking about our guidelines and thought I'd add it in.

As I recall, originally the monthly challenge was supposed to be whatever you took that month for the topic. I was the one who changed it to the last 90 days since I got no response at all one month, for over a week. It's been like that ever since, but I always considered that rather a "soft" rule, if someone who was hosting the topic wanted to make it either more or less time-restricted, it would be up to them (I hadn't intended it to be a permanent guideline, more a way of getting more participation that particular month).

In any case, the official word has come down - 90 days it is. In some ways I'm sorry that spring has sprung, I'm in a very grey mood at the moment and would have loved to have photographed the grey and brown world of stark trees with no leaves, brown ground freshly exposed from snow, that not yet spring blah world. Then when I was REALLY depressed I'd look at everyone's spring flower pictures and feel much better. I know that doesn't exactly make sense, but its rather how I'm feeling at the moment.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I know that doesn't exactly make sense
hehe, you read my mind... but hey, whatever works for you!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:40 PM   #8

Well, I entirely missed the last challenge - never got around to posting, and was away from computers too long to vote. So first a heartfelt but very late congratulations to Glen, and then, just to be sure I don't miss it again, will be the first to submit an entry this month.

This is a tiny butterfly that is only out and flying (in our region) for a few weeks in early spring. It's called a Falcate Orange Tip (only the males have the orange tips to the wings), and this guy is enjoying some Spring Beauty nectar. Seems like an appropriate photo for the Spring season...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:23 PM   #9

Sweet shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:07 PM   #10

I was thinking the same thing, it's very pretty. I may end up posting the panorama I posted in another thread, since it speaks of Spring for any Californian. But maybe something better will come along so I'm going to wait. On the other hand, tomorrow I might be able to post a winter picture - there's snow flurries right now.