Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:41 PM   #1

Default K-r Focus Issue?

Hi All
I am the happy owner of a new K-r with an 18-55, 50-200, and 18-135 Pentax lenses. I have been reading that there is a low light focus issue with the K-r. I have had some hit and miss low light shots myself but this was also true with my K100D so until I started reading that many have had issues I hadnít given it much though as an issue. But this is apparently true. Has anyone heard of a firmware fix coming for this issue?

Thanks
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:01 PM   #2

From what I have read many cameras have some front focus in tungsten light, (most home incandescent lighting is tungsten), The Kr is reported by many people on line to have bad front focus in tungsten light, but focus correctly in daylight, My Kr is due today, I guess I will find out. I hear Pentax is working on a fix but no date has been given for the FW fix.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:04 PM   #3

I just did a test in incandescent lighting at the house and the only shots that where a little out of focus was the pictures taken around 50mm on up to 18 but non looked bad until you viewed full size on the computer and not all of those had issues. Even then they were acceptable and would have printed nicely. All of my close zoom shots at 135 looked sharp and clear on the focal point. If a Firmware update comes out I will install it as I have done for the first update. That update addressed contrast focus issues and SD card usage.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:19 PM   #4

Here is a great thread talking about the firmware update (or, lack there of) and the timeline of it. There are also many conversations with pentax support that have been posted as well. As of now, there is no firmware update, and pentax will not acknowledge a widespread problem among K-r cameras:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...f-problem.html

Here is the conversation i had with pentax support just a few days ago:

Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:26 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing this with all of us. As for now I think my K-r is doing OK but if the firmware comes out for this issue I will get it.

Again Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Hi rriter,

I'm always leery of issues brought up on photo fora. The K-5 sensor stain was heavily documented by posters that I trust to tell it like they see it, and it caused me to delay purchasing it for a couple of months even though the conditions where it actually showed up in images (stopped down smaller than f16) are not part of my usual shooting practice.

The low light focusing issue also seems to have some basis in fact, especially since it's a new focusing sensor (SAFOX IX) in both the K-5 and Kr, and the K-5 had some documented low light level focusing problems. My copy would focus inconsistently with my FA 50/1.4 at f1.4 in light under Ev 5 (dim side of normal indoor room lighting). The variance was slight (a few cm at most) at close focusing distances (really shallow DOF), and I ignored it because I don't shoot this lens like this, and all the rest of my "fast" lenses F 50/1.7 and a bunch of f2.8 constant zooms and tele primes never showed the problem.

The recently issued FirmWare update cured my K-5's AF problem. . .and it seems like it's been effective with a great majority of complainers in various fora. The consensus is that those whose problems still exist either have faulty sensors, or mis-calibrated ones and should send the cameras in for warranty adjustment or repair.

Since Firmware cured the majority of K-5 focusing problems where they existed, the assumption is that a future firmware update will do the same for the Kr, but unfortunately a natural disaster and a national nuclear emergency might get in the way and cause some delays. . . sorry for the cynicism . . .

If a camera shows this and puts a person's professional reputation and ability to earn money at jeopardy, then they are probably already a member in Pentax's Professional Services Program, and should be able to get timely service, or a loaner if there is going to be a delay. If not, I'd try to avoid situations where the problem shows up and wait for the update or send the camera in for service with the understanding that it might take longer than usual if faulty parts need to be replaced. That's what product warranties and dealer replacement policies are for. . .

Sorry for the rant. . .

The bottom line is if you can't see it in your normal shooting, it's worthwhile to look for it, but if it isn't obvious right away, it probably doesn't effect your camera, and in this case even if it does, but it's slight, it will probably be addressed in a FW update.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Apr 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7

Got the Kr last night, no focus issues yet. I only have CFL in the house and that is not tungsten so it should not be a focus problem. I will check it with tungsten soon. Focus is better than my K2000, faster and more accurate, I am impressed. Low light high ISO using auto and manual lenses is great. Bring on the grand kids soccer games.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote