Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:44 AM   #1

Default First Cooper's Hawk. . . and a CH nest

Hi All,

Last week, while I was testing our some stuff at the Nature Center while it was raining, I saw what looked like a hawk landing at a clump high up in a tree in the distance. I kept this in mind, and although the weather's still dreary, I visited the site during a dry spell.

I sat watching for about two hours, and the area was visited by a Cooper's Hawk twice. This is the first time I've seen one close enough to actually make a certain ID and get some shots. I had the K-5 and FA*300/4.5 + 1.7x AFA (510mm f7.7)

I stayed about 100 feet away from the nest so as not to possibly scare the hawks away, but I noticed no movement there. The one that did appear landed and perched about 40 and 50 feet from me, but away from the nest. I don't think I intimidated it though as it landed closer to me than most hawks have in the past, and I could move a bit and shoot without scaring it off.

I'm attaching some shots of the hawk and one of the nest.

I'll be returning periodically to see if I can follow this up.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:59 AM   #2

Great looking bird Scott. Good luck with this series !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:50 PM   #3

Love your hawk! Nice photos, hope it hangs around for the summer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:35 PM   #4

Those are very nice shots Scott. I've seen hawks perching in trees quite often, though I've never managed to get a good shot of one. But I have never had the good fortune of seeing a hawk's nest. I'll look forward to seeing what develops in the nest as the seasons progress.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Great looking bird Scott. Good luck with this series !
Hi Kevin,

Thanks! I'm hoping that longer lenses and better positioning might help get better shots. The nest is about 60 feet up in the tree, so I'll never get a good angle on it, but hope to get something as the young approach fledging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love your hawk! Nice photos, hope it hangs around for the summer.
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

I went back today since it was sunny and nice. Then a Cub Scout troop who had volunteered to help clean up the park arrived and overran the area around the tree with the nest, so I left. I'm thinking that the nest is high enough and the pair was out hunting, so no harm was done, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Those are very nice shots Scott. I've seen hawks perching in trees quite often, though I've never managed to get a good shot of one. But I have never had the good fortune of seeing a hawk's nest. I'll look forward to seeing what develops in the nest as the seasons progress.
Hi mtnman,

Thanks!

I can do better than this. I was shooting handheld at 510mm, and the day was dreary, so conditions alone should allow some higher quality. I was also experimenting with some camera settings that didn't work out, so this also detracted from the IQ.

This is the first hawk's nest I've ever seen. I'm really not adept at finding nests. Discovering it was purely a matter of chance, and I hope that despite the height, I'll be able to get some shots as time goes by.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:25 AM   #6

You may be less than happy with these - due to the difficult lighting and the camera settings experiment, but they are great photos - not the most detailed, but excellent mood! Will look forward to your great photos from your continued visits to the nest site...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote