Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:55 AM   #1

Default Just back from Fall Creek Falls

Busy last week attending meetings at Fall Creek Falls State Park, near Pikeville Tennessee. Not a lot of spare time to wander the park, but did take advantage of those moments!
Fall Creek Falls is a big park, with many amazing remote wild places. It's also famous for its waterfalls. Here are several views of the main falls (appropriately called Fall Creek Falls). 1st two are from the overlook, #3 taken at base of the falls. I usually prefer the longer exposures, but took a few faster ones too - do you think the fast one (#1) shows the power of the water better?
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:57 AM   #2

Just down the trail from the Fall Creek Falls overlook is a nice view of Cane Creek Falls. Did not have time to hike down to the base, but here's a view from up above (plenty of water with all our recent rains!)
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:58 AM   #3

Rockhouse Falls is usually just a VERY LONG drip, but plenty of rain made for a fuller than normal falls last week...
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:01 AM   #4

One of my favorite waterfalls at Fall Creek Falls is Piney Creek Falls. Piney flows into an untrammelled wilderness - great place for a day-long rock hop down the creek. Did not have time for my usual long visit, just a brief glimpse from the overlook...
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:02 AM   #5

And also time for a brief visit to nearby Ozone Falls. Ozone is a small State Natural Area, small in acreage but rich in discovery...
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:04 AM   #6

Only had time for a few encounters with park flora and fauna - will post those in a separate thread.

Hope you enjoyed this very brief glimpse of a very rich natural place, that you will have the chance to visit for yourself someday, and that you will share your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:44 AM   #7

Great photos, I like the water smoothed by the longer exposures, nice work. Looks like great place, how accessible is it. Ever have an urge to ride the falls down?

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:10 AM   #8

AS always Mole you do wonders with water

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:26 PM   #9

Hi mole,

Another great waterfall series!

I've always wondered if you manage to handhold these, or bring a tripod on all your hikes when you know you'll encounter falls?

It's always great for me to see waterfalls, hills, and mountains -- appreciation from a flatlander. . ..

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:01 AM   #10

Ed - Thanks for the input on the falls. To answer your questions - Although Fall Creek Falls does hold some amazing, remote & very rugged back country, much of the park is very accessible. The overlook of the main falls is about 100 yards from the parking area, walking on a sidewalk. There is a scenic drive that takes you very close to several waterfall & gorge overlooks. There are miles of paved bicycle paths through the woods that are quite level and probably wheelchair accessible. And the park also has a modern hotel and luxurious cabins! But I have never felt the urge to slide down the (256 foot tall) waterfall!! Might be a few moments of exhilaration, but the long hospital stay or funeral expenses would not be worth it...

Hans - It is indeed a wonderful water resource, an amazing part of the Creation!!

Scott - Glad you enjoy the "wrinkled" East Tennessee landscape - hope you get to see some for yourself one of these days. Yes, I usually carry along a tripod on most hikes - have a big pack with plenty of room for too much equipment. Have been known to brace against a tree instead, but tripod usually works better (easier to adjut the angles!!)