Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:11 AM   #1

Default Speaking of Seasons..

It is now flood season here in Manitoba.These are some photos of local flooding in the western part of the province.We had a huge snow level this year and altho most rivers are near record levels,these shots are just of the damage done by field run-off.The first two are of a local road near Brandon as is the third one.The last couple are of a highway just north of Souris (a town I was working in) and as one old guy said to me that in in the 60 years he has never seen this and wondered where the water came from as there isn't even a creek there.There are 55 road closures presently across the province.Today I go work south of Winnipeg...where the "BIG" flooding is..hope to get some more photos.
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:22 AM   #2

It's been a long time without floods here, the Great Lakes levels are still at all time lows, but it has happened in the past. Good luck with the weather.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:57 AM   #3

Great pix of flooding. I'm surprised also that western Mb. is getting so much. Today if you're near the Red River, you'll see the beginning of the transformation from the Red River to the ' Red Sea'....flood wise.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:49 PM   #4

Thanks Les..actually I was at St Adolphe today..going back tomorrow.The Sea is growing..lol..I actually came back to Wpg on the closed road on the east side of the Red.It's amazing where you can go with a telephone truck.I went thru Westbourne this morning and they are flooded out..streets are under and ducks are swimming in peoples yards.I stopped at the Portage spillway and watched the ice come in..pretty amazing..and pretty loud.Some chunks that got spit out of the back end were the size of cars.I took a whack of photos..too many to post here so tacked up on my FB page.I hope to get some tomorrow of the Red..might make a trek down to Morris...
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:55 PM   #5

Wow! That's some kind of water! Glad I'm here and not there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
Thanks Les..actually I was at St Adolphe today..going back tomorrow.St. Adolphe, by the bridge over the Red is also a very good Raptor site in the spring...it's under a flyway...I've seen Bald Eagles, the odd Golden Eagle, Red Tailed Hawks, etc...in late march, early April...the St. Adolphe bridge as you probably know was extensively rebuilt after the Red while flooding a couple of years came close to knocking the concrete supports out.The Sea is growing..lol..I actually came back to Wpg on the closed road on the east side of the Red.It's amazing where you can go with a telephone truck.I went thru Westbourne this morning and they are flooded out..streets are under and ducks are swimming in peoples yards.I stopped at the Portage spillway and watched the ice come in..pretty amazing..and pretty loud.Some chunks that got spit out of the back end were the size of cars.Good fishing spot at the Portage Spillway. ...but not now.

When ice chunks are that big...you can see why they can do the damage they do.
I took a whack of photos..too many to post here so tacked up on my FB page.I hope to get some tomorrow of the Red..might make a trek down to Morris...
Look forward to the pix. Morris I think maybe marooned in the next couple of weeks when the Red peaks.

I was out at the Forks in the Peg...where the Assiniboine flows into the Red....the Assiniboine is flooding extensively. Got some pix....I used my K10D with the 12-24 W/A.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote