Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:24 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-r viewfinder vs Canon 1000D viewfinder

Has anyone any experience of comparing the viewfinders of the K-r and the 1000D (Rebel XS)?
I wear eye glasses and have a bit of trouble with my 1000D because I can not see the edges of the frame in the viewfinder or the shooting information that is below the viewfinder without moving my eye. I like the the look of the K-r and would probably ditch the Canon if I could make better use of the viewfinder of the K-r. Unfortunately my local camera shop hasn't got a K-r that I can try.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:59 AM   #2

It must be due to the glasses preventing your eye getting close enough to the viewfinder, removing the cap around it might improve it, but I'm not sure any other camera (short of a full frame that has a larger viewfinder) will be much better.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:23 AM   #3

Just as an FYI, I shoot a 1DMKIII and I wear eye glasses. I can see most of the information, but I too have to adjust slightly, especially if the exposure level indicator is indicating on the high side. When I take my glasses off, I can see everything perfectly. I also have a Pentax K10D and I can see virtually all of the indicators with my glasses on because they are all at the bottom of the viewfinder. Of course, this makes things a little more cluttered and it's a little harder to focus on the indicator that you need to pay attention to, but you can see it. I don't know if the K-r is the same or not. You might see a picture of the K-r viewfinder in the downloadable manual & that would at least give you an idea.

Last edited by jdnan; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:59 AM   #4

Morning, I too wear glasses, or spectacles. Without them, I can't really see anything - so its glasses or nothing. I do find that the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder is very helpful. Now, when I look thru the viewfinder, I do have to make some adjustments to see the information - I guess that is why I tend to use the focus point indication as focus, rather than the little hexagon down on the information area...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:20 PM   #5

I also wear glasses and use the Kr and K2000, I find that most of the time I use my glasses and adjust my eye so I can see the info and still get a glimpse of the edges. If I am going to shoot a lot I push the diopter adj all the way to the right and push my glasses up to my forehead allowing me to see the complete frame and the info

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:04 PM   #6

I have bifocals and use a Pentax k10D, Pentax KM (K2000) and Canon G 12. With all these cameras I use the viewfinder with my specs on.

With the Canon G 12 I also use the live viewfinder.

I find when I use my Binoculars (Pentax and Bushnell) though I have to take my glasses off to see ok.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:19 PM   #7

Thanks all for the information. I have tried an eyepiece extender on my 1000D which does help me see the edges better but it makes the image smaller.
I will see if I can find a shop farther away that has a K-r that I can try.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I also wear glasses and use the Kr and K2000, I find that most of the time I use my glasses and adjust my eye so I can see the info and still get a glimpse of the edges. If I am going to shoot a lot I push the diopter adj all the way to the right and push my glasses up to my forehead allowing me to see the complete frame and the info

Hans
Ditto.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:25 AM   #9

I too wear bifocals ... I have the K100D with a rubber eye cup on the VF, this helps keep out some extraneous light, I can't say I've had any problems seeing the shooting info at bottom of the frame,not to sure re. the sides of the frame, I'm usually concentrating on the focus point centre frame ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote