Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:12 PM   #1

Default K-5 display problem

The bright spots of daylight in the upper corners of this flash photo make bright yellow flashing blotches on the LCD display. I noticed this before on flash photos, and thought it a card problem since I had inadvertently inserted it in the wrong camera (displayed only), so I reformatted it in the K-5 and it still occurs. The card is a Transcend 8GB Ultimate Class 10. The images display normally on the computer. I don't know whether this is the fault of the card, the display or the processor that can't handle extreme contrast properly, but the images seem unaffected. Has anyone else noticed this? If it is only the LCD panel, I can live with it, but if it is a symptom of something else, it will have to be sent in.

Name:  IMGP0207r.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  188.3 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
The bright spots of daylight in the upper corners of this flash photo make bright yellow flashing blotches on the LCD display.
Your camera probably has a feature that shows you blown highlights and blocked shadows (many do now).

Try pressing your camera's display button again to cycle through different display modes (or just check your manual to see how that feature works with the K-5 if it doesn't cycle between display modes with and without that feature easily). But, it's probably better to leave it turned on so you can tell areas that are overexposed or underexposed and adjust exposure as needed for your subject type.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:30 PM   #3

I wasn't aware of that feature, if it has it (new camera). I'll have to follow up on that. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Your camera probably has a feature that shows you blown highlights and blocked shadows (many do now).
There is a menu item for "Bright-dark area warning" and it was checked. I have yet to find where the manual tells you what that warning is, but that must be it. I have unchecked it and will see if it does not occur again. I think this may be a first for Pentax. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by penolta; Apr 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:16 PM   #5

I usually leave the "blinkies" turned on - the camera will blink the clipped highlights and the clipped blacks/shadows (blue? Can't quite remember). I don't worry about clipping the blacks but do worry about the highlights. As I recall, you can set the camera to show them always (initial review and recall), just the initial review or not at all. I can't remember where in the menu system these options are and I'm not home now to look it up - they can be annoying if you are showing pictures to someone on the back of the camera so some turn it off except for the initial review. I think the camera comes with it turned off for initial review and only on for scrolling through pictures later (or so it seems to me, I once took a picture and didn't see the highlight blinking when it came up at first - then saw them when I went through them later). I really need to go back to the manual...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Most cameras with that feature work in a similar manner. If the highlights are blown (too bright to recover), you'll get blinking in the blown areas.

If the shadows are blocked (too dark to recover), you'll get blinking on those areas.

The color used varies between camera model (usually one color for blown highlights, with a different color for blocked shadows).

I use that feature with my Sony A700 in tough lighting when tweaking exposure settings.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:28 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

I don't know how the K-5 works. But, try pressing your camera's display button while viewing a photo.

With many cameras, each time you press the display button, you'll cycle to a different display option (display off, photo only, photo with information overlays, blinking highlights, etc.).
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
As I recall, you can set the camera to show them always (initial review and recall), just the initial review or not at all. I can't remember where in the menu system these options are and I'm not home now to look it up
All I have found so far is the reference on page 236 to the on/off checkbox on the Playback 1 menu.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:37 PM   #9

The K5's information doesn't toggle on the overlays - it does toggle through photo only, basic information, histogram, full information. Turning on or off the blinkies is in the menu options.

I really need to read the book - Pentax has changed this function between cameras over the years. As I recall, the DS would blink for highlights only. A later camera added blinkies for the blacks, and you could choose which one you wanted to have turned on. I think on the K7 (might have been the K20, I don't actually remember which one) changed it so the blinkies were either on or off, you couldn't have one on without the other. I don't know about the K5, whether you could have the highlights turned on without having the shadows. I haven't really thought about changing the function so didn't check that part of the manual (and I should).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:55 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I think this may be a first for Pentax. Thanks for the heads up.
I recall my K20D had the ability to display the blown highlights and dark areas which blinked in yellow and blue respectively. You should be able to turn this feature off as needed.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote