Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:17 PM   #11

I think I would favor the opposite of what Martin did - the foreground of #1 and the background of #2. The foreground of #1 is more realistic, but the lack of background gives it no context - it could be a mountaintop of seashore. The background of #2 gives you a sense of knowing where the scene actually is..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I think I would favor the opposite of what Martin did - the foreground of #1 and the background of #2. The foreground of #1 is more realistic, but the lack of background gives it no context - it could be a mountaintop of seashore. The background of #2 gives you a sense of knowing where the scene actually is..
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, I would like to see more of the background but with the high key foreground.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:40 PM   #13

An interesting idea, keep the mountains in and leave the sand light. Here's two slightly different ways of doing that (and the offending brush has been cloned out). First, I took the high-key picture and added a curves layer to darken it and add contrast. Then I used the graduated tool to create a layer mask on the curves layer, so it was only over the mountains. That one came out as:

A second version is a combination of the middle and low key versions, where I made a file with both pictures on different layers, then used Topaz Lab's ReMask to select just the lower part on the lighter version. I forgot to change the settings in the program to create a layer mask rather than creating a layer with the keep part (how I normally want it, you can change layer masks if something isn't right). I thought the difference between the two parts was way too strong, so at first I was unhappy that I couldn't change the new layer. But then it occurred to me to change the opacity of the original light layer down so that it softened/lightened the mountains a bit, making the transition less jarring (but still more than what I got from using curves on the high-key picture).

It came out as:

Are either of these better or worse?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:07 AM   #14

2nd one is great IMHO. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing the photos and the technique.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:15 PM   #15

The original #2 - for the contrast and the detail.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:58 PM   #16

Agree on #2 as well. Not a great difference, but enough - I like the slightly darker background and less glarey foreground. Nicely done.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:45 PM   #17

Original number 2. The background shows the vast scale of the desert.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:25 PM   #18

Thanks for the ideas, it's been fun playing around with this shot (wasn't quite sure what to do with it). I'll eventually start another thread with some other Silver Efex pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:20 AM   #19

I got here too late, and there are too many good choices!!

It is amazing how different the mood and tone of the photo becomes with each variation in processing. Thanks for sharing the diversity of results.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote